Lead Database Engineer-Oracle at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Under indirect direction, responsible for all activities related to database system administration. Responsible for the installation, maintenance, configuration and integrity of database infrastructure hardware and software. Implement operating system enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the system. Recognizes and troubleshoots problems with server hardware and applications software. Implements documented standards and procedures for system support. Requires senior level knowledge of computer operations and familiarity with the deployed database technologies to meet the needs of our customers and business. Works on multiple projects simultaneously.
What You’ll Do :
- Monitors the database system hardware/software for performance degradation, connectivity issues, system events and alerts. Updates and manages tickets through resolution with vendors and internal support groups. Tests, analyzes, performs corrective actions and restore availability and services in a timely and accurate manner to eliminate/reduce application impact. Provides timely notifications to management/outage team and escalate tickets to appropriate internal and external management as needed.
- Participates in pager rotation to provide 24x7 support for all database system environments (Prod, Test, and Development).
- Plans and performs scheduled changes (patching, maintenance, deployment, decommission, configuration, performance tuning) for all hardware and software used to support the database infrastructure.
- Provides consultative services to infrastructure and application teams regarding project work, POCs and/or troubleshooting exercises.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in information technology
- 4+ years of experience Database, IT or related
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
Technical knowledge in:
- Oracle Tuning Strategies on Linux/Exadata
- Turning logical into physical design
- Schema and indexing strategy for performance and scalability
- Creating and administering stored procedures
- Debug PL/SQL programs and SQL as needed
- Oracle GoldenGate, DataGuard, & RAC technologies
- Design database backups, exports, and data routines
- Advanced understanding of Oracle Security
- Familiar with EXADATA features
- Database and schema migrations and the various alternatives
- Strong focus on automation and driving out manual processes
- Team Player, ability to work with different parts of an agile organization
- Ability to clearly articulate the problem to Application Developers, Managers, and Stakeholders
Experience with Oracle (MS SQL Server) performance tuning and analytical tools such as:
- Oracle Enterprise Manager
- SQL Tuning Advisor
- AWR, ASH and ADDM
- App Dynamics
- SQL Sentry
Nice to have working knowledge of the following technologies:
- MS SQL Server
Agile development experience a plus #LI-BG1 #Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.