Lead Database Engineer
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Responsible for the activities related to database administration and systems development support. Under indirect supervision, analyzes and implements the physical model of the database within established standards, ensuring the best performance. Supports multiple services and multiple databases of medium to high complexity (complexity defined by database size, technology used, systems feeds, and interfaces) with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity, and accessibility of data. Works on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Performs scheduled changes (patching, maintenance, deployment, decommission, configuration, performance tuning) for all hardware and software used to support the database infrastructure.
- Participates with infrastructure and application teams regarding project work, POCs, and/or troubleshooting exercises.
- Participates in pager rotation to provide 24×7 support for all database system environments (Prod, Test, Development).
- Monitors databases for performance degradation, connectivity issues, system events, and alerts. Updates and manages tickets through resolution with vendors and internal support groups. Tests, analyzes, performs corrective actions, and restores availability and services in a timely and accurate manner to eliminate/reduce application impact. Provides timely notifications to management/outage team and escalates tickets to the appropriate internal and external management as needed.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Database Administration, IT, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Database, IT, or related field
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.