Lead Database (Oracle) Engineer
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Responsible for the activities related to database administration and systems development support. Under indirect supervision, analyzes and implements the physical model of the database within established standards, ensuring the best performance. Supports multiple services and multiple databases of medium to high complexity (complexity defined by database size, technology used, systems feeds, and interfaces) with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity, and accessibility of data. Works on multiple projects simultaneously.
Oracle 11g/12c, Exadata RAC Architecture, Configuration, and Administration
Troubleshoot for performance issues / database errors, special 10046 tracing, working with vendor
Support On-call pager rotation support Database installations and upgrades for Oracle 11g, 12c
- Grid with MAA architecture Build DataGuard across data centers for large databases and troubleshoot / resolve standby synch issues, support replication, switchover / failovers.
- Use RMAN to backup and point-in-time recovery / restore of databases, RDBMS tables
- Administrative work Golden Gate active replication configuration and support using DBFS Oracle Enterprise Manager (12c / 13c ) installation, configuration and database monitoring / alerts
- Oracle database patching and database vulnerability management Database weekend Change implementations, ability to run an implementation call with application teams Database migrations using Oracle Golden Gate
- SQL Tuning, using indexes, baselines, statistics, EXPLAIN plans / access path evaluation Desired understanding of Oracle Exadata architecture.
- Performs scheduled changes (patching, maintenance, deployment, decommission, configuration, performance tuning) for all hardware and software used to support the database infrastructure.
- Independently handle production phone conference calls for database issues assisting in overall troubleshooting of the issues collaborating with other teams and present observations / on-the-spot analysis results from the database side.
- Follow Change Management procedures Provide L3 DBA support to offshore / first level support DBA’s
- Participates with infrastructure and application teams regarding project work, POCs, and/or troubleshooting exercises.
- Participates in pager rotation to provide 24×7 support for all database system environments (Prod, Test, Development).
- Monitors databases for performance degradation, connectivity issues, system events, and alerts. Updates and manages tickets through resolution with vendors and internal support groups. Tests, analyzes, performs corrective actions, and restores availability and services in a timely and accurate manner to eliminate/reduce application impact. Provides timely notifications to management/outage team and escalates tickets to the appropriate internal and external management as needed.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Database Administration, IT, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Database, IT, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 5+ years of extensive hands-on Oracle Database Administration experience for large database installations
- Master’s Degree with a major in Computer technologies / sciences.
- Desired Oracle Certified Professional (OCP)
- Knowledge and experience in database performance tuning including ASH / AWR’s analysis, SQL execution plans, baselines & profiles, tuning SQL’s and memory components of the database
- Familiarity with modern technological features and ability to quickly adapt to changing environment needs
- Oracle Exadata
- Familiarity with SOX, PCI, Cyber Ark and database security procedures / standards
- Awareness of database security compliance requirements
- Oracle Data Guard, Broker
- Backup and Recovery
- Oracle Enterprise Manager
- Software Patching
- Data Pump
- LDAP OUD / OID
- tnsnames, listener, SQLNET
- Automatic Storage Management (ASM)
- Change Management / Service Now
- Oracle RDBMS 11g / 12c
- Database Vulnerability Management
- Database File System (DBFS)
- AWR / ASH / ADDM / Memory tuning / STATSPACK / Optimizer
- 24X7 On-Call pager support
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.