Lead Database Systems Engineer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
Under indirect direction, responsible for all activities related to database system administration. Responsible for the installation, maintenance, configuration and integrity of database infrastructure hardware and software. Implement operating system enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the system. Recognizes and troubleshoots problems with server hardware and applications software. Implements documented standards and procedures for system support. Requires senior level knowledge of computer operations and familiarity with the deployed database technologies to meet the needs of our customers and business. Works on multiple projects simultaneously.
What You’ll Do :
- Monitors the database system hardware/software for performance degradation, connectivity issues, system events and alerts. Updates and manages tickets through resolution with vendors and internal support groups. Tests, analyzes, performs corrective actions and restore availability and services in a timely and accurate manner to eliminate/reduce application impact. Provides timely notifications to management/outage team and escalate tickets to appropriate internal and external management as needed.
- Participates in pager rotation to provide 24x7 support for all database system environments (Prod, Test, and Development).
- Plans and performs scheduled changes (patching, maintenance, deployment, decommission, configuration, performance tuning) for all hardware and software used to support the database infrastructure.
- Provides consultative services to infrastructure and application teams regarding project work, POCs and/or troubleshooting exercises.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology
- 4+ years of Mainframe Engineering, Unix/Linux Administration, Database Systems or related
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.