Lead Scientist - Proof of Concept at SPINS LLC
Who we are
For 20+ years, our mission has been to increase the presence and accessibility of natural and organic products to encourage healthier and more vibrant living. By leveraging SPINS’ industry-leading proprietary data and analytics, our technology enables deeper, more engaged relationships between Retailers, Brands and Consumers through our platform, web, and mobile products. At the core of our work lies a passion to create a culture of sustainable health & wellness.
What you will do
As a key member of the Data Governance team, you will be responsible for research & development, prototyping, creating requirements for engineering teams, and partnering with Data and Software Quality to ensure that new internal analytic methods and applications are scaled and implemented into data production systems.
- Continuous evaluation of current methodologies to identify opportunities for improvements and enhancements
- Methodology development through research and prototyping proof of concepts
- Close collaboration with product owners, architects and engineering on requirements reviews and iterative development
- Creation of methods / KPIs to monitor data quality and identify exceptions before clients do.
- Subject matter expert for internal teams and clients on sampling & projection methods and measurement calculations
What You Bring
While your talent and experience matter most, we have to mention these qualifications matter to us:
- 4+ years of professional experience in designing and prototyping analytic solution for the real-world problems
- Master’s Degree in a quantitative field, such as Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Analytics, or other related fields with advanced coursework in statistics
- Experience with Python (preferable) and/or R, along with use of open-source tools (e.g., Jupyter notebooks, Metabase) and the ability to write complex SQL queries
- Experience in trend analysis, multivariate statistics (parametric/ non-parametric), sampling, bias reduction, indirect estimation, data aggregation techniques, data fusion, and model validation techniques
- Experience implementing weighting and projection schemas (e.g., iterative proportional fitting, random iterative method weighting)
- Robust analytical, critical thinking, and creative problem-solving skills
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize and contribute to multiple assignments simultaneously
- Solid written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
We’re even more impressed if you bring along your:
- Exposure to XP or other Agile engineering teams
- Exposure to cloud-hosted operations (GCP or AWS or Azure)
- CPG industry experience
When we began working remotely a year ago due to COVID, we committed to keeping our healthy and active SPINS culture. This remained a high priority for us as we grew our employee population by nearly 20% while we worked remotely. We listen to employee feedback as we plan when and how we will return to the office in the future. For now, we can’t have some of our favorite in-office perks (plenty of snacks, onsite gym, and bike storage), we’ve continued to find ways to stay true to SPINS:
- Virtual yoga, HIIT, and Kinstretch classes each week
- Each employee is allotted paid time to use to volunteer with an organization of their choice and charitable donations are matched.
- Stay connected with other SPINS employees for a weekly PELOTON ride together
- CEO Connect, a monthly informal small group Q&A session with our top leader
- Direct – We communicate with clarity, honesty and respect in all situations and embrace opportunities to provide solution-oriented feedback.
- Determined – We are committed to overcoming all obstacles to achieve results. We adapt to change, seek opportunities to learn and rapidly translate that learning into action.
- Passionate – We go above and beyond to help our partners achieve their goals. We challenge assumptions and are comfortable forging new paths.
- Collaborative – We leave our egos at the door, believing that working together we will produce an outcome that’s greater than each individual contribution.