Lead Software Developer at Discover (Chicago, IL or Remote)
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for analyzing, modifying, and supporting application software.
- Ensures quality code is delivered through continuous integration, development, and testing.
- Performs technical design, coding with test automation, support, and documentation of software application modifications.
- Contribute to CI/CD pipelines and platforms
As part of our Network Authorizations technology domain, you’ll:
- Lead Agile-focused software development teams to help our organization drive towards emerging technologies. While primarily providing hands-on development work, you’ll also mentor junior-level software developers.
- Leverage your leadership skills to help shape our business and technology outcomes to meet customer and partner needs.
- Create and break-down product/platform efforts into successful execution-ready plans.
- Contribute to the developer experience by leveraging the latest industry technologies to enhance current solution patterns and define new ones.
How You’ll Do It
- Delivers technology solutions that support business goals.
- Partners with the product owner to understand business requirements, evaluates features, and translates application specifications into workable technical solutions.
- Maintains application software and systems.
- Ensures all projects and releases are appropriately tested and risks are mitigated.
- Oversees and reviews development activities of team members and contractors.
- Supports technical initiatives and provides input into best practices to team.
- Work independently and with a team, with minimal supervision.
- Wide latitude for independent judgement and decision making.
- Ensure quality code is delivered through continuous integration, development, and testing.
- Test and mitigate risks for all projects and releases
- Perform technical design, coding with test automation, support, and documentation of software application modifications.
- Oversee and review development activities of highly-complex global teams, consisting of both full-time staff and contractors.
- Provide leadership and guidance to junior-level software developers to enhance their growth and help them achieve objectives.
Qualifications You’ll Need
Bachelor's degree in Information Technology
6+ years of experience in software engineering or related field
In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of experience in software engineering or related field
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Experience working in a highly complex and scaled global technology organization
- Time spent working for an organization in either the financial services or technology space
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational database and NoSQL database
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies #LI-BG1 #Remote #BI-Remote
The Tech Stack
- Core Java
- REST APIs
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- Jenkins (pipelines, scripting)
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.