Managing Director, Analytical Team Manager at Morningstar
The Team: Morningstar Credit Ratings, LLC is a subsidiary of Morningstar, Inc. and a Nationally Recognized Statistical Rating Organization with a reputation for high-quality ratings and investor-focused analysis. We specialize in assigning credit ratings and publishing research to help investors make better financial decisions. Our services include new-issue ratings and analysis, operational risk assessments, surveillance services, data, and technology solutions.
The Role: The Managing Director will be the Analytical Team Manager of the Corporate and Financial Institutions (CFI) Rating Team and responsible for the application and development of credit rating methodology and criteria. The Analytical Team Manager will have direct management responsibility to lead a staff of analysts focused on providing new issue ratings and ongoing surveillance for corporate and financial institutions. The Managing Director—Analytical Team Manager will report to the Managing Director—Practice Leader to execute the analytical approach for the CFI Ratings business and various other initiatives. The Analytical Team Manager is responsible for the integrity and quality of the credit ratings and will lead development of new methodology and criteria to diversify and broaden analytical coverage.
The MD will oversee the allocation of resources for ratings assignments and will need to be able to respond to changes in transaction structures and market dynamics to position the analytical team to respond to new types of rating requests. The MD will provide careful oversight of the CFI Ratings group work product to ensure a high standard of quality. This position will have responsibility for evaluating and implementing industry best practices, while continually evaluating the Morningstar ratings processes, methodology, models, and efficiency of the ratings process. This position will collaborate with the rest of the management team to ensure that the focus remains on the organization’s mission and goals while maintaining the culture that makes Morningstar Credit Ratings a great place to work.
We are looking for a dynamic individual with an entrepreneurial spirit to lead and inspire the analytical team as we build a highly respected ratings agency. This individual must be open to new ideas to break the mold of a traditional rating agency to develop a NRSRO with a fintech business model. The position requires an individual with an engaged, hands-on style of leadership to undertake, take ownership, and manage multiple projects to completion in a timely and efficient manner. This individual must have the self-confidence, intellectual prowess, and credibility in the market to successfully execute the analytical approach for the CFI Ratings group.
Specific requirements include:
• 10+ years of experience in corporate debt analysis, preferably including NRSRO experience
• A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably with a focus on accounting or finance, MBA or CFA preferred
• Unquestioned ethics
• Strong knowledge of credit analysis across a broad range of sectors encompassing corporate and financial institutions
• Experience managing a large staff
• Hands-on management style, with strong leadership, interpersonal, and influencing skills with demonstrated success at building relationships and collaborating across organizational boundaries
• Strong project management skills, ability to make decisions and drive execution
• Strong written and oral communication skills: comfortable making presentations to effectively communicate key concepts to senior executives, the Board, regulators, outside partners/influencers/clients, and large groups of peers
• Demonstrated success in identifying trends in the capital markets
• Adherence to senior management directives, regulatory guidance, and control functions
• Values diversity of thought, backgrounds and perspectives
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.