Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
The Enterprise Data Architecture & Strategy team at Discover is looking for an experienced Data Architect or Data Engineer to join a diverse team dedicated to solutions architecture, strategy and innovation.
This role will primarily support various analytics initiatives including some data science support but it can also extend to other areas depending on business priorities.
Qualifications / Traits of the ideal candidate:
- Experience in any technical role supporting Machine Learning (ML) development or maintenance work
- Strong technical leadership experience such as solutions architect, lead data engineer, etc. in design and development of data solutions
- Breadth of development experience in a majority of the following disciplines; Data Integration, Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence, Programming, CICD, Micro Services, Streaming data, NoSQL.
- Ability to remain cool and be comfortable working in a fluid environment with changing or incompletely defined goals.
- Engages extensively with cross functional teams including but not limited to development teams, Data Governance, Cyber Security to understand specific system requirements or provide consultation
- Creates and documents architecture decisions, diagrams, design specifications, installation instructions, and other system-related information.
- Verifies stability, availability, inter-operability, portability, security, scalability or other relevant architecture characteristics.
- Create, collect, facilitate enterprise data solution patterns covering interfaces, data stores, transport technologies and the source and destination of data
- Be a thought leader, stay abreast of industry trends and share your expertise with an extended team
- Drives optimal reference architecture that efficiently and effectively presents an integrated view of enterprise data for both operational and analytical needs.
- Creates target state data flows covering registered interfaces, alignment to reference architecture, alignment to sources of truth, Master data/CRM like solutions across the enterprise
- Contributes to architecture governance for data and analytical activities throughout the enterprise.
- Supports the creation and implementation of data strategy and future state architecture
- Create high-level design documents and detailed specifications, in accordance with company architecture standards. Creates new data models as well as improving existing databases and data flows.
- Communicates with staff or clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Provides advice on project costs, design concepts, or design changes. Drives key decisions around how we work with data at Discover, both within the Data organization and for the broader company, including taking ownership of the key database and data warehouse design initiatives.
- Collaborates with engineers or software developers to select appropriate design solutions or ensure the compatibility of system components. Advise our Data Engineering teams on best data practices and will shape the future landscape of data at Discover, including architecting the databases and data streams to power Discovers core analytic pipelines and processes.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics, or related
- 6+ years of hands-on programming experience, architecting and modernizing to next generation data applications, or related experience
- In lieu of education, 8+ years hands-on programming experience, architecting next generation data applications, or related experience
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Experience working as a data architect at the enterprise level
- Financial Services Industry experience
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.