Principal BI Engineer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Continuously evolve our long-term Operational Excellence (OPEX) BI initiatives for Data and Analytics (DNA). Drive adoption at the senior and executive levels in your ability to convey a meaningful data-story by translate raw-data into actionable insights leading to profitable outcomes.
As a Principal BI Engineer, you will consult with stakeholders to gather key metrics and other business/operational requirements, work productively and effectively with data owners and stewards towards ensuring optimum data sources, build and implement high-value enterprise BI solutions, present to leadership, track utilization and adoption and continually look for improvement opportunities. Work collaboratively and innovatively with the Tableau Server engineers and Tableau COE members within the BI Tools team to deliver customer-centric products and services to our end-users.
- Candidate should be able to code in a higher level language such as Python
- Familiarity with using SAS to deliver BI solutions and be able to integrate various type of enterprise-ready data sources and help developers in implementing best practices while developing SAS solutions
- Should have an understanding of the Tableau ecosystem of tools, including Prep, Conductor, and Catalog, and be able to integrate various type of enterprise-ready data sources and help developers in implementing best practices while developing Tableau solutions
- Render unambiguous, current, complete and accurate data from disparate systems and technologies to enable profitable, risk appropriate business decisions from domain owners
- Highly analytical, motivated, decisive thought leader with solid critical thinking ability to quickly connect technical and business dots
- Create and manage agile demand management process in Agile sprints to deliver enhancements to departmental and enterprise wide dashboards
- Expert in ‘stitching’ data sources from disparate sources towards a re-usable visual-data-layer
- Design and implement performance tuned BI solutions to ensure they provide the best user experience possible and minimize load on the server
- Has strong communication and organizational skills and ability to deal with ambiguity while juggling multiple priorities & projects at the same time
- Work closely with business partners to help in the design of solutions throughout the company
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work with senior executives and client stakeholders (Level 1 to Level 3 Support)
- Delivers technology solutions that support our business goals: Partners with management, architects, and product owners to understand requirements, evaluating the features to prepare applications specifications into workable technical solutions.
- Enhances Operating Model by demonstrating a high-level of initiative, ability to work with all levels of management and within a scrum team as a senior technical leader/developer. Assists with the growth of others on the team within a challenging environment while promoting DFS cultural behaviors and technical proficiencies based on our latest standards and strategies.
- Actively contribute to the department's developer community to support technical initiatives and provide input into best practices.
- Maintains highly available systems. Ensures all projects and releases are appropriately tested and risks are mitigated
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors degree in Information Technology or related field
- 8+ years of software development, or related experience
- In lieu of education experience, 10+ years of software development or related experience
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 8+ years of experience in IT, Data Analysis, Data Visualization, Metadata Management
- Competent in a higher level coding language such as Python
- Experience in Tableau and SAS BI Solutions
- Experience presenting across all levels of organizational structures
- Strong team and leadership skills
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational database and NoSQL database
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.