Principal Business Analyst at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
We are looking for a seasoned Principal Business Analyst to join our Enterprise Data Management Technology team. This role will be the bridge between our business partners and data scientist, data model and data engineering teams to understand and document the business requirements for the enterprise data assets. The Principal business analyst will provide insights/recommedations on data assets by running queries and profiling the data, creating source to target mapping to align to the enterprise logical/physical data model.
Responsible for formulating systems scope and objectives relative to the organization’s business plan and industry requirements. Provides technical guidance concerning the business implications of the application of various systems. Provides technical consulting on complex projects.
- Be the bridge between Data Scientist, Model development and Data Engineering to enable model and strategy development against enterprise data assets.
- Analyze data across multiple platforms to provide insights and recommendations to support enterprise data assets principles.
- Understand at a fundamental level our data ingestion and processing frameworks.
- Must drive innovations by keeping current on emerging technology and Data Trends which may fit with data assets needs
- Gathers data application requirements from Data Scientists and other operational teams to ensure that the business needs will be met.
- Designs transformation logic in source to targets to be implemented by partner Data Engineers
- Partners with the Data Scientists and Data Engineers throughout the development and testing processes by ensuring that the team understands the parameters and needs of the project
- Creates target state data flows covering registered interfaces, alignment to reference architecture, alignment to sources of truth, Master data/CRM like solutions across the enterprise
- Promotes reusability with an enterprise view, simplifies architecture landscape
- Covers service-level requirements such as availability, volume of data, response time, and security and privacy.
- Provide guidance to application development areas by applying knowledge of data warehouse design, extract-transform-load (ETL) design and development
- Support the creation and implementation of data strategy and future state architecture
- Provide support for the roll-out of enterprise data modeling, data stewardship, metadata and data quality processes and tools.
- Provides support for deployed data applications and analytical models by being a trusted advisor to Data Scientists and other data consumers by identifying data problems and guiding issue resolution with partner Data Engineers
- Present vision to teams as well as to executive leadership
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management, Business, Information Technology, or related field
- 4+ years of experience working with the business in software development
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience in software development lifecycle—collaborating with business and/or BT coding, designing, testing, project management
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Experience with variety of databases e.g. Teradata, Oracle, Maria DB, Snowflake
- Experience with building data warehouses, marts, business intelligence reports and operational systems
- 3+ years ad hoc SQL experience researching data
- Strong communication skills – ability to talk effectively to business users, data scientists and engineers
- 2+ years of relevant hands-on data architecture experience
- 1+ years of relevant hands-on exposure to building data and analytics solutions on AWS
- Knowledge of ETL architecture experience (Ab Initio or cloud-native tools)
- Knowledge and ability to promote innovative solutions for metadata and data quality.
- Knowledge about architecting and influencing metadata driven applications
- Knowledge about architecting and influencing data quality solutions for data-at-rest and data-in-motion at high velocity.
- Knowledge about architecting and influencing metadata driven data reconciliation and data quality solutions
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in the data space and ability to recommend solutions
- Experience leading and mentoring other business data architects
- Strong executive presentation skills
- Experience with Agile methodology and related tools such as Jira
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.