Principal Cloud Architect at Walgreens
As the Cloud Data Architect you will be responsible for designing and implementing the management, monitoring, security, and privacy of data using Azure data services to satisfy business needs and strategies. This person will work in the Cloud Center of Excellence and will drive the implementation of the cloud data strategy along with the introduction of new emerging technologies, public cloud services and providers.
You will enable cloud native non-relational, relational, streaming, and big data solutions for new solutions. In addition, you will work across development teams and other stakeholders to drive and enable the migration and refactoring of on-premises applications to cloud native design and deployment methodologies.
You will mentor and work with both senior and junior developers and architects to bring them up to speed on cloud data architectures emphasizing modern cloud deployments within a DevOps environment.
This individual must be able to translate complex ideas, technology, and programs into language senior management can relate to and also communication with developers resolving complex design issues.
- Develops well architected data solutions, optimized for cost, operations, performance, reliability and security.
- Develops and drives the cloud data strategy along with the introduction of new emerging technologies and public cloud services, cloud adoption plans, cloud application design, and cloud management and monitoring strategies
- Designs target state Cloud Architecture, partnering with other areas, such as Cloud Network Architects, Cloud Solution Architects, Cloud Security Architects, and Cloud Engineering and Development teams.
- Builds Reusable Patterns for application development in the public cloud to deploy and modernize applications, provide governance around adoption, and influence application development teams on roadmaps and designs
- Ensures all technical leaders have architected resilient and robust systems. May oversee technology assessments, technology strategy reviews, and provide internal consulting to ensure all areas are practicing sound architecture hygiene.
- Translates complex ideas, technology, and programs into language senior management can relate to and performs as a key influencer on technical decisions that affect the business on a long-term basis.
- Leads the Development of metrics and scorecards to influence the technology teams on industry best practices for cloud development.
- Directs Architecture and Cloud Engineering teams in defining data technology strategy and roadmaps.
- Develops short- and long-range product and service strategies and plans. Oversees the execution of operating plans for specified area of responsibility.
- Reviews the competitive marketplace and makes adjustments to operational activities based upon identified information.
- Leads in a fast-paced environment and produces high-quality work under tight deadlines.
- Mentors and works with both senior and junior developers and architects to bring them up to speed on cloud architectures, including modern programming languages, micro services and container based deployments.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans
Walgreens Boots Alliance (Nasdaq: WBA) is a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy, touching millions of lives every day through dispensing and distributing medicines, and through its convenient retail locations, digital platforms and health and beauty products. The company has more than 100 years of trusted healthcare heritage and innovation in community pharmacy and pharmaceutical wholesaling.
WBA is one of the world’s largest purchasers of prescription drugs and many other health and well-being products. The company’s size, scale and expertise will help position us to expand the supply of, and address the rising cost of, prescription drugs in the U.S. and worldwide.
The company’s portfolio of retail and business brands includes Walgreens, Duane Reade, Boots and Alliance Healthcare, as well as increasingly global health and beauty product brands, such as No7, Soap & Glory, Liz Earle, Botanics, Sleek MakeUP and YourGoodSkin.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 6 years of experience leading complex Software Engineering and Architecture initiatives OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 9 years of experience leading complex Software Engineering and Architecture initiatives.
- Experience with public cloud architecture, Cloud strategy, networking, security, compliance workload types, migration patterns and tools.
- Experience with various enterprise applications and IT services, as well as software development, compliance and security, and IT operations disciplines.
- Knowledge of cloud design patterns, cloud operations and cloud cost models with experience implementing best practices or suggested improvements.
- Experience suggesting competitive and innovative technical decisions, obtaining client buy-in and delivering on commitments
- Experience re-architecting applications for cloud platforms.
- At least 2 years of experience contributing to financial business decisions in the workplace.
- At least 3 years of direct leadership, indirect leadership, and/or cross functional team leadership.
- Willing to travel up to10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Certification: Azure Data Engineer Associate.
- Experience with more than one cloud provider.
- Experience leading a large, highly technical teams in a matrix organization.
- Knowledge of app & data architectures and cloud native patterns for development, etc.
- Knowledge of Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) philosophy, Chaos Engineering, technologies, platforms and tools, SLA management, incident resolution, and automation
- Experience leading collaborative teams to achieve common goals
- Experience in large scale internet companies/technologies, where uptime and continuous availability was core to the business
- Experience identifying and partnering to implement automation opportunities to drive down toil and reduce technical debt
- Experience managing operations of large scale internet-centric Data environments for application or data services serving tens to millions of end users
- Experience presenting technical ideas in business-friendly language.
- Experience identifying operational issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems.
- Experience applying standards of cloud compliance to application design to achieve reliability
- Knowledge of Networking and cloud technologies, for example Security, Load Balancing, Network routing protocols