Principal Cloud Data Engineer at Discover
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Discover Financial Services is seeking a Principal Cloud Data engineer to join our Data Operations team. Successful candidates will partner with our business partners to understand their data needs, and build data pipelines using cutting edge technologies like Kinesis/Kafka both in our on-Premise environment as well as in the Cloud. Additionally you will provide engineering leadership to create and enhance data solutions enabling seamless integration and flow of data across our data ecosystem. You also will provide lead level technical consulting to peer data engineers during design and development for highly complex and critical data projects. Some of these projects will include designing and developing data ingestion and processing/transformation frameworks leveraging open source tools such as Java, Python, Spark, Scala, pySpark, etc.
- Provides senior-level technical consulting to peer-data engineers during design and development for highly complex and critical data projects.
- Provides engineering leadership to create and enhance data solutions enabling seamless integration and flow of data across the data ecosystem.
- Designs and develops data ingestion frameworks leveraging Open-Source tools such as NiFi, Sqoop, Hive, Java, Pig, Python, as well as data processing/transformation frameworks leveraging Open-Source tools.
- Provides support for deployed data applications and analytical models.
- Designs and develops real-time processing solutions using Open-Source tools.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering Minimum
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 8+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration / Engineering
- Experienced in Agile methodologies.
- Proficiency in one of the scripting languages such as Shell/Python/Scala/Java.
- Good understanding of Big Data technology trends, with knowledge of technologies such as Kinesis, Kafka, Spark, Hive, pySpark.
- Knowledge of Infrastructure as Code, Immutable Infrastructure, & continuous integration/deployment practices
- Experience with one of the ETL tools (Abinitio, Informatica or Data Stage) and tools/frameworks within the Big Data ecosystem (
- Hands on experience with AWS based solutions such as RDS, Lambda, Dynamodb, Snowflake or S3.
- Experience in version control systems such as Git, GitLab, etc.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!