Principal Data Engineer (Data Quality) at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Responsible for designing and developing solutions to application, system administration, and network issues. Performs systems management and integration functions.
- Documents design specifications and installation instructions.
- Collaborates with technology partners to select appropriate design solutions and ensure the compatibility of system components.
- Communicates with staff and clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Verifies the stability, interoperability, portability, security, and scalability of system architecture.
- Provides advice on project costs, design concepts, and design changes.
- Drives optimal reference architecture that efficiently and effectively presents an integrated view of enterprise data for both operational and analytical needs.
- Test, maintain, and monitor computer programs and systems, including coordinating the installation of computer programs and systems.
- Troubleshoot program and system malfunctions to restore normal functioning.
- Expand or modify system to serve new purposes or improve work flow.
- Use the computer in the analysis and solution of business problems, such as development of integrated production and inventory control and cost analysis systems.
- Consult with management to ensure agreement on system principles.
- Collaborates with engineers or software developers to select appropriate design solutions or ensure the compatibility of system components.
- Communicates with staff or clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Designs solutions for metadata management, data quality, sensitive data management, and data steward activities.
- Develops and codes solutions for metadata management, data quality, sensitive data management, and data steward activities.
- Implements some improvements in architecture, team processes, and functions.
- Understand the role of metadata in capturing data lineage, and supporting data quality
- Define/extend meta-models within a data cataloging repository.
- Documents current state data flows covering interfaces, data stores, transport technologies and the source and destination of data
- Creates target state data flows covering registered interfaces, alignment to reference architecture, alignment to sources of truth, Master data/CRM like solutions across the enterprise
- Promotes reusability with an enterprise view, simplifies architecture landscape
- Covers service-level requirements such as availability, volume of data, response time, and security and privacy.
- Provide guidance to application development areas by applying knowledge of data warehouse design, extract-transform-load (ETL) design and development
- Lead, mentor and coach data architects, applications architects and other team members
- Support the creation and implementation of data strategy and future state architecture
- Provide support for the roll-out of enterprise data modeling, data stewardship, metadata and data quality processes and tools.
- Present architecture vision to teams as well as to executive leadership
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 10+ years of relevant hands-on data architecture experience
- Knowledge of ETL architecture experience (Ab Initio or cloud-native tools)
- Knowledge and ability to promote innovative solutions for data quality.
- Strong communication skills to influence stakeholders.
- Knowledge about architecting and influencing metadata driven applications
- Knowledge about architecting and influencing data quality solutions for data-at-rest and data-in-motion at high velocity.
- Knowledge about architecting and influencing metadata driven data reconciliation and data quality solutions
- Experience with variety of databases e.g. Teradata, Oracle, Maria DB, Snowflake
- Experience with building data warehouses, marts, business intelligence reports and operational systems
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in the data space and ability to recommend solutions
- Experience leading and mentoring other data architects
- Strong executive presentation skills
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.