Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
The Principal Data Engineer role will be working closely with Card Acquisition business partners and other Architects within the Business Technology department focused on maintaining, optimizing and evolving our Card Acquisition processes. The candidate must possess strong business acumen to understand business vision in order to provide solutions that realize business vision and needs. Strong understanding of data in the financial domain, hardware considerations, and knowledge of new technologies will be very valuable resources in the position.
Given the need for providing solutions that meet the needs of unique business opportunities, the candidate must possess strong problem solving skills and should be capable of defining and articulating technical architecture, and providing the necessary guidance to other technical resources to implement the solution. The candidate must also possess strong planning and organization skills; excellent communication and presentation skills are also essential for this position.
- Primary responsibility is to optimize the Card Acquisitions processes and create new solutions that exceed business expectations in content accuracy, reliability and performance
- Develop strategies, policies and best practices working with business partners
- Develop and cultivate strong relationships with business partners and is expected to have strong customer-facing skills including negotiation, conflict resolution, and crisis management
- Research, analyze, design, propose, and deliver solutions that fits within the enterprise context
- Enforce data security standards including obfuscation, tokenization, and encryption
- Participate in data technology strategy, including resolving strategic data integration issues, such as data quality and stewardship, real time, event-based data integration, and crafting a universal vision for data integration
- Conceptualize and execute Proof of Concept to verify/validate complex business issues or review new tools and technologies
- Lead discussion with the business on new business opportunities/requirements and lead requirements gathering when needed
- Provide thought leadership in DW schema and database performance tuning. Additionally, understands how the front-end reporting tool influences these aspects
- Develop/enhance the DW technical standards
- Support project teams on design and development of processes required to extract, transform, cleanse, and load the data into DW and data marts as necessary
- Guide and mentor team members to help them build capabilities
- Work with other team members and vendors in troubleshooting and assuring quality of the DW and Card data
- Oversees and consults with project teams. Creates design- and system-impact documents. Ensures system strategies are understood and are being adhered to. Monitors application designs and interfaces. Organizes and facilitates design discussions. Clarifies business requirements and communicates technical concerns and trade-offs to business leaders.
- Partners with the business to understand strategies and goals. Assists the business with developing system requirements and impacts that can be used to initiate projects and meet the business goals.
- Help build a culture of learning and innovation with a focus on learning new data technologies / practices and spearheading adoption within the organization
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in technology communities and act as an internal mentor to users of these platforms
- Supports engineering leadership with the creation and enhancement of data solutions enabling seamless integration and flow of data across the data ecosystem.
- Provides senior level technical consulting to peer data engineers during design and development for highly complex and critical data projects
- Designs and develops data ingestion frameworks leveraging open source tools such as NiFi, Sqoop, Hive, Java, Pig, Python, as well as data processing/transformation frameworks leveraging open source tools.
- Designs and develops real time processing solutions using Open Source tools.
- Provides support for deployed data applications and analytical models.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelors degree in Information Technology, or related field
- 6+ years of work experience in data platform administration/engineering, or related experience
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 8+ years of work experience in data platform administration/engineering, or related experience
- Prior experience as a solution architect or technical lead
- Extensive knowledge of and experience working with AWS (S3, Snowflake)
- Strong knowledge of Financial Services industry with the focus on Card business domain
- Strong technical expertise on Data Warehouse platform (ETL/Ab Initio, Teradata), Data modeling, Big Data stacks/ecosystem including Kafka, Python, Spark, NoSQL, Github, Jenkins and Cloud
- Experience in an Agile-based environment
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills, capable of effectively presenting ideas/solutions to all levels in the organization
- Highly organized, capable of effectively managing competing priorities, and delivering on business results
- Ability to work within a team environment as well as independently
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems
- Strong team player who is able to work across multiple functions and disciplines
- Expertise with the design and development of ETL data integration solutions
- Expertise in enabling business intelligence solutions through data integration
- Demonstrated experience with integration technologies and how to leverage them into data mapping between systems
- Knowledge on ETL data pipeline solutions using Container Platforms (e.g. Kubernetes &
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.