Principal Data Engineer
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover Financial Services you can make an impact. Whether it’s developing corporate strategy, innovating new services or supporting IT needs, every employee has the opportunity to be a vital part of our business and make a real difference in people’s lives. It’s the heart of what we do. Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services.
We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service. Our employees have always played a big part in our success. We support, challenge and inspire employees to continually develop their skills, advance their career and help grow our business.
Discover Financial Services is seeking a Principal Data Engineer to join our Advanced Analytics Data team. Successful candidates will partner with our business partners to understand their data needs, and build data pipelines using cutting edge technologies like Kinesis/Kafka. Additionally you will explore the use of Python, Scala, Spark APIs to enrich data for our data scientists.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Discover Financial Service’s data and its mission.
Where you can make an impact:
- Drive highly visible projects include translating business and technology requirements into our Cloud ETL/ELT architecture.
- Develop real-time data ingestion and stream-analytic solutions leveraging technologies such as Kafka, Apache Spark, Kinesis, Java, NoSQL DBs, AWS EMR.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams such as AWS cloud & platform engineering, DBAs and business teams.
- Provide our highest senior level technical capabilities to architect and implement our data on cloud roadmap.
- Highly productive: Ability to deliver with minimal oversight on a day-to-day basis. This role is intended for somebody who is passionate about data and developing solutions to generate data insights.
- Fierce fast attitude: Must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment with other high caliber engineers
- Multi-tasking and prioritization expertise: Enjoy balancing numerous different priorities and demands.
- Learner: Passionate learner who enjoys education through class room training and self-discovery on a variety of emerging technologies
- Leader: Decision making capabilities while gathering information and demonstrating leadership to management, and junior level staff.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- BS in Computer Science or related field, or professional experience in data movement.
- 10+ years of data engineering experience working with structured and un-structured data.
- Experience in Agile methodologies is must.
- Experience with SQL is a must and exposure to Snowflake is a big plus.
- Proficiency in scripting languages such as Shell/Python/Scala/Java is a must.
- Well versed with Linux/Unix operating system.
- Prior experience with Banking or Financial domain is a big plus.
- Good understanding of Big Data technology trends, with knowledge of technologies such as Kinesis, Kafka, Spark, Hive, pySpark.
- Experience with one of the ETL tools Abinitio, Informatica or Data Stage
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Experience with AWS Cloud Services is a big plus.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
And by the way, while you’re waiting to hear from us, don’t forget to check out the great benefits Discover offers.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!