Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Evolve and implement our long-term enterprise data management program as a leader of the Enterprise Data Governance team. Drive the data catalog, data quality, data stewardship, metadata management, and sensitive data management programs.
As a Principal Data Governance Consultant you will lead team members evolving and rolling out the data governance policies, principles and best practices across the company. Build productive working relationships with Business Technology and Business Unit teams to mature and implement the Enterprise Data Governance Strategy. You will also be involved in oversight for regulatory activities like privacy compliance and financial reporting while providing leadership and applying data governance concepts, principles, and frameworks.
- Leads the design, development, implementation and evolution of a long-term enterprise data management and governance program
- Builds productive working relationships with the federated data governance groups within the company providing tools, capabilities and frameworks to evolve the maturity of those federated groups
- Partners with external vendors and industry experts to evolve the data management and governance program using industry frameworks, templates and expert organizations
- Perform as a product owner and team lead with application development teams, data stewards, subject matter experts and other business and IT staff to execute data governance initiatives.
- Mature our data governance program and work with data stewards in business value added data initiatives.
- Evolve data governance policy and standard writing and review along with developing short presentations for the department and senior level executives.
- Utilize various IT frameworks (ITSM, ITIL, etc), guidelines and best practices to evaluate and make practical recommendations on IT data management policies, procedures, standards and controls.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Information Technology work experience, Data Analysis, Metadata Management, or Data Quality.
- In lieu of a degree, 10+ years of experience in Information Technology work experience, Data Analysis, Metadata Management, or Data Quality.
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Deep understanding of data governance concepts and tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with peers and upper level management.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Project, Visio and PowerPoint.
- Strong interpersonal skills including effective negotiation, conflict management, and ability to develop strong working relationships.
- Ability to create and deliver presentations on Data Governance topics to all levels of the company.
- Self-starter with the initiative to act upon opportunities with little direction and moderate oversight.
- Working knowledge of Teradata, or Oracle databases.
- Experience with Data Catalog, metadata management and business glossary tools like Alation, Collibra, ASG Brocade, DAG Metacenter or IBM Business Glossary.
- Agile development methodologies or Lean Six Sigma
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.