Principal Dimensional Data Modeler at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
The Enterprise Data Modeling team at Discover is looking for an experienced Principal Data Modeler to join a diverse team dedicated to data analysis, data classification, logical and physical design --- including dimensional modeling for the cloud data warehouse. On this team you will collaborate closely with others to understand reporting and analytical requirements and develop and document data design solutions to help the business achieve its goals.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
In this role you will:
- Be a subject matter expert in multiple business areas and a champion of data management best practices.
- Perform data analysis and data modeling for operational and analytical databases.
- Lead initiatives and coordinate resources to design and deliver high quality, reusable, data assets.
- Be responsible for data classification, naming, data design, and the creation of DDL.
- Designs databases to support business applications, ensuring system scalability, security, performance and reliability. Designs, develops and deploys database models for application development to support business applications, ensuring system scalability, security, performance, and reliability. Performs data analysis and data modeling for Operational Application and Analytical Data Warehouse databases. Responsible for the creation and design of database coding structure (in DDL - Data Definition Language), including the classification, naming and design of the database (including independent decision making for data normalization techniques as an example). Designs and implements improvements in architecture, team processes and functions.
- Provides technical consulting for teammates and application teams for data naming, classification, design and handling as a part of the first line of defense for data controls in designing systems. Performs high complexity changes with no supervision. Works with external teams and peers to determine data strategy and architecture. Is a subject matter expert in more than one business area.
- Suggests and implements improvements in architecture, team processes and functions.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, or related field
- 6+ years of work experience in IT, Data Analysis, Data Manipulation, or related
- In lieu of degree, 10+ years of work experience in IT, Data Analysis, Data Manipulation, or related
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Working experience with dimensional data modeling and strong knowledge of best practices and solution patterns
- Proficient in SQL for data analysis
- Ability to identify opportunities to improve existing processes
- Great attention to detail
- An active listener
- Ability to manage time and maintain focus
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Experience with cloud databases
- Experience with reporting tools
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.