Principal Machine Learning Engineer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Do you want to be on the forefront of the next BIG thing in advancing the analytic technology landscape? Are you driven by the thought of being involved at the ground level of an enterprise wide transformation? Do you enjoy solving complex business problems in a fast paced, collaborative environment?
Discover Financial Services is seeking a bright, driven, and talented individual to join a team of passionate and innovative technologists who work on developing and maintaining Data Science workbench built on containers and Kubernetes.
We’re looking for a well-rounded individual who’s not afraid to roll their sleeves up. We use some exciting tools and technologies – ideally you’ll know some, but we want you to be excited about what we’re doing.
In this role, you will be a contributing member to a team that works on an idea from conception to implementation with next generation technologies. This is a varied role that will require diving into all areas, so even if you don’t have the direct experience you should be comfortable with uncertainty and be excited to learn. A lot of what we build will be prototypes and proof-of-concepts for internal validation and learning. As such, we’d like you to be able to have some strong experience with programming, distributed and cloud technologies.
· Contributing member of a high performing, agile team focused on next generation data & analytic technologies
· Primarily you’ll be rapidly prototyping new products to test important customer features or demonstrate to key stakeholders. This will likely involve a lot of backend/front end work, but also a considerable amounts of data manipulation techniques – even some ML where it’s needed.
· Work with other areas to ensure the tools that we build are scalable for huge workloads on AWS
· You will participate in all aspects of the software development lifecycle which includes estimating technical design, implementation, documentation, testing, and deployment
· You need to make sure our apps are enterprise-ready, secure and compliant, but lightweight and fit-for-purpose. We’ll help guide you through this if you’ve not done it before.
· Deliver container-based solutions utilizing in our container platform as part of our cloud migration, app modernization and cloud-native development services on AWS
· Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience
· Develops and maintains backend systems
· Uses holistic knowledge of all products in and adjacent to the team’s ecosystem to plan how new systems will be built and integrated; finds new ways to bring value to the company through the use of technology
· Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved processes within the team and with internal partners; stays up to date with technology trends and innovations; mentors team members
· Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models)
· Supports live systems to ensure business continuity
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, or related field
· 8+ years of work experience in Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent experience
· In lieu of education experience, 10+ years of work experience in Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent experience
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
· Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
· Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
· Strong experience working with a relational database and NoSQL database
· Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
· Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
· Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
· Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
· Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
· Build secure web applications with user authentication
· Experience with relational databases such as MySQL or Postgres and understanding of columnar data stores such as Redshift or Snowflake
· Strong technical understanding of data architecture, data quality and related technologies
· Understanding of statistical tests
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.