Principle Database System Engineer at Discover
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Under general direction, responsible for all activities related to database system administration. Ensures long-term requirements of systems operations and administration are included in the overall information systems planning of the organization. Responsible for the installation, maintenance, configuration, and integrity of database infrastructure hardware and software. Implements operating system enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the system. Recognizes and troubleshoots problems with server hardware and applications software. Establishes and documents standards and procedures for management review. Requires extensive knowledge of computer operations and familiarity with the deployed database technologies to meet the needs of our customers and business.
- Monitors the database system hardware/software for performance degradation, connectivity issues, system events, and alerts. Updates and manages tickets through resolution with vendors and internal support groups. Tests, analyzes, performs corrective actions, and restores availability and services in a timely and accurate manner to eliminate/reduce application impact. Provides timely notifications to management/outage team and escalates tickets to appropriate internal and external management as needed.
- Plans and performs scheduled changes (patching, maintenance, deployment, decommission, configuration, performance tuning) for all hardware and software used to support the database infrastructure.
- Provides consultative services to infrastructure and application teams regarding project work, POCs, and/or troubleshooting exercises.
- Researches and implements new technologies to enhance/grow existing database system infrastructure.
- Participates in pager rotation to provide 24×7 support for all database system environments (Prod, Test, and Development).
- Leads all activities related to system administration. Ensures long- term requirements of systems operations and administration are included in the overall information systems planning of the organization.
- May assist, mentor, and/or coach team members.
- Responsible for the installation, maintenance, configuration and integrity database infrastructure hardware and software. Implements system enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the system.
- Develops and executes an integrated architectural view of, and strategy for, enterprise-wide database infrastructure technology solutions. This includes, but is not limited to, experience with High Performing and Highly Available Database Topologies, Database Platform and Storage Technologies, System Management and Monitoring Tools, Cloud Services, Big Data, Datacenter Facilities and Business Continuity Designs.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Systems Administration, IT, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Systems Administration, IT, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 10+ years of experience in Systems Administration, IT, or related field
- Relevant Technology Certifications
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.