Quantitative Equity Research Analyst at Morningstar
Morningstar Equity Research is expanding its quantitative research team and looking for a knowledgeable, enthusiastic, creative, and results-driven individual with 3+ years of experience in quantitative data analysis to join us. The team's mandate is broad: to accelerate the pace of innovation across the Equity Research department. Its scope of potential activities is diverse: devising methodologies to enhance our equity research and ratings, developing tools to empower our 100+ equity analysts, and partnering with colleagues to create novel ways to classify, compare, and evaluate asset types that Morningstar does not yet cover-ranging from "real" assets like timberland to intangible assets like cryptocurrencies. The role will report to Morningstar's Director of New and Experimental Research, situated within the Equity Research department.
- Pursue a deep understanding of Morningstar's equity research methodologies, analyst workflows, data requirements, and client needs.
- Partner with equity research colleagues globally to identify areas where we might apply quantitative methods to benefit our analyst teams and customers.
- Independently develop new methodologies, processes, or tools to empower our analysts and enhance our research.
- Evaluate the efficacy of new or existing methodologies using Python or R
- Collaborate on new methodologies and data sets for asset types Morningstar does not yet classify or evaluate at scale.
- Create detailed specification documents and client-facing white papers
- Communicate clear and concise project status information to key stakeholders, including the Morningstar product teams and clients
- Facilitate adoption of new methodologies, processes, and tools by hosting training sessions for equity analyst teams globally.
- Bachelor's degree is required; Accounting/Finance/Economics/Computer Science preferred
- Progress toward or attainment of CFA designation is considered an asset
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills and moderate Python skills (with a high willingness to continue learning)
- Firm grasp of equity data and an interest in equity research
- More than 3 years of experience in quantitative data analysis, preferably related to investment research.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and succinctly.
- Strong analytical and logical reasoning skills.
- Effective time management skills
- Comfortable taking the initiative and working without detailed guidance or supervision
- Proactive and positive attitude and a team player