Avant is dedicated to building premier digital banking solutions for the middle class through a combination of technology, analytics and superior customer service. Since 2012, Avant has connected over one million customers to $6.5 billion in loans and to 200,000 credit cards. A high growth financial technology company, Avant has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, TechCrunch, Fortune, Bloomberg, and has raised over $600 million of equity capital. Visit www.avant.com for more information.
Avant is looking for a Data Associate to join the Operational Risk team in Chicago.
This person will be responsible for assisting the Head of Operational Risk with identifying automation opportunities and executing the build-out of an effective control framework across the enterprise.
A successful Data Associate will develop a thorough understanding of our numerous data sources, analyze data to perform Risk modeling and scenario analysis, and support enterprise efforts to build automated queries for monitoring controls.
We are looking for someone with strong technical, analytical, and organizational capabilities who is just as comfortable exploring data sets in SQL and Python as they are interacting with business leaders to define key metrics.
What you do at Avant
- Function as a senior team member on the Operational Risk team by supporting Avant’s development of an enterprise Risk Management framework, identifying automation opportunities, and driving the development of automated monitoring controls
- Improve Avant’s risk management capabilities by developing sophisticated reporting dashboards, algorithms, and analyses that breathe more intelligence into identifying emerging risks and material enterprise-wide risk issues
- Mine data from company databases, perform statistical analyses, and work with business stakeholders throughout the company to create and document Key Risk Indicators (KRI’s) and provide insights to business leaders
- Identify issues, diagnose root causes, and solve problems through independent thinking and collaborating with business stakeholders
- Develop close partnerships across lines of business and provide value-added collaboration with team leaders to ensure that key risks are properly identified, managed and mitigated
Why you are a fit for Avant
- Bachelor’s degree in a field such as computer science, statistics, electrical engineering, or other quantitative field
- 5+ years of work experience in Data Management, Data Science, Data Analysis, or a Technical Project Management capacity
- Professional experience with relational databases such as Oracle, PostgresSQL, SQL Server 3+ years of experience in querying and analyzing large datasets on a regular basis
- Strong project management skills, ability to work in a team environment, and capable of independently managing multiple, conflicting priorities and delivering a quality result within tight deadlines
- Expertise in programming using, Python, R, and/or C++ for conducting research and automation
- Exposure and knowledge of risk management concepts and practices (Risk Identification, Controls, KRI’s, Risk Modeling) is preferred
Why Avant is a fit for you:
At Avant, we believe our values make a difference:
We value, support, and help each other grow
We are committed to active inclusion and diversity
We are transparent and believe the best idea wins
We succeed when our customers succeed
We get sh!t done… responsibly
And we keep it fun!
We believe that ideas are more important than titles, everything is more fun together, everyone drives change, and everyone is an owner. While we believe the perks and benefits that we offer are terrific, nothing excites us more than having the ability to collaborate with intelligent, highly-motivated and talented people on challenging problems as we work to change the face of online lending.
Avant is an equal opportunity employer and individuals seeking employment are considered without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation or gender identity), age, disability or genetic information or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local law, regulation or ordinance.