Security Analyst at Kin Insurance
Kin is the home insurance company For Every New Normal. Because of our proprietary technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change. We’re proud to offer fully digital homeowners insurance with an elegant user experience, accurate pricing, and fast, high-quality claims service.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.
So, what’s the role?
As the Security Analyst, you are responsible for operating and maintaining enterprise security tools and platforms, primarily in service of the protection of sensitive data. As a core member of the office of information security, you thrive in an immutable infrastructure and git-ops driven environment. You will interpret and can triage vulnerability disclosures, collaborate with stakeholders across Kin on technical solutions, and drive remediation activities.
A day in the life could include:
- Working closely with stakeholders to gather technical requirements and execute on deliverables to bring engineered solutions to reality with a DevSecOps mindset & culture
- Collaborating with various stakeholders in multiple technical disciplines: including developers, business intelligence, data engineers, devops, quality assurance, and architects to support existing and implement new security solutions
- Operating and maintaining various security tools and practices like vulnerability management, security testing, security training, SIEM, etc
- Performing industry research on new security protocols and methodologies
- Being part of the planning, development, design, procurement, maintenance and implementation of security for enterprise-level systems
- Creating and implementing information systems cloud security best practices and mentoring company personnel
- Guiding the engineering team in secure software development methodologies and best practices.
- Analyzing industry specific regulatory requirements, and contributing to policies and procedures
- Author risk assessment statements, remediation guidance, and status reports
- Develop tools to automate and refine vulnerability management processes
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- 3+ years of expertise in system, network, and/or application security
- 3 years experience in threat modeling and interpreting vulnerability disclosures
- 2 years of working knowledge building automated tools in Java, Python, Perl, PowerShell/UnixShell, or Ruby
- Working knowledge of one or more security tools: Antivirus/Anti-malware protection, vulnerability management scanners, forensic tools, Security Event Management (SIEM) management portals, Mobile Device Management tools, Data loss prevention management portals, etc
- Background as an Incident Response team member
- Proficient in various compliance and security control frameworks such as NIST, ISO 27001/27002, COBIT, ITIL, CSRC
- Previous work history at an organization that develops web-based application software
- Familiarity with immutable infrastructure, git-ops, terraform, automation and CI/CD pipelines.
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.