Senior Applied Data Scientist, Commercial
What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
About the Role
The Applied Data Science (ADS) team is the solutions and advisory arm of Civis Analytics, and works closely with organizations to help solve their toughest challenges with data science. This role of Senior ADS will support clients in our commercial verticals specifically, and report to an ADS Manager.
Civis has opportunities for applicants who are seasoned professionals, brilliant newcomers, or anywhere in between — offering competitive compensation and benefits packages. We are looking for detail-oriented individuals from diverse backgrounds, with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We especially value self-starters, quick learners, and those with the ability to work well in small teams.
- A Senior ADS runs the end-to-end execution of client engagements utilizing data science, which includes:
- Handling client relationships and communication on day-to-day projects and initiatives, with stakeholders of varying technical experience or familiarity with methods
- Leading and structuring project research design, including statistical analysis, modeling techniques, and data management methods, and working with cross-functional teams of data scientists and software engineers where necessary to create and implement solutions
- Managing the unification of large 1st- and 3rd-party datasets, and building predictive models
- Translating findings into clear, actionable, and timely insights with the appropriate business context
- Other job responsibilities of a Senior ADS include:
- Creatively identifying opportunities in the solution delivery process for scalable applications, and collaborating with other teams to further construct these tools
- Assisting ADS Managers in new business development by scoping projects, writing proposals, and building case studies and other collateral
- Maintaining a continuous and independent education of cutting-edge statistical techniques and programming languages
- Teaching and mentoring more junior Applied Data Scientists
- Travel requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical subject (statistics, math, economics, physics, engineering, business, political or social science, computer science, etc.)
- 2+ years of work or post-graduate experience in a field of analytical science
- Experience working in a consulting or advisory function a plus
- Shown affinity for and experience working with large or messy data sets
- SQL experience a plus
- Proficiency with statistical programming languages (R, Python, etc.) and proven ability to work pragmatically with statistical concepts
- Proficiency with presentation or data visualization software, such as Microsoft PPT, Tableau, Shiny, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience framing and communicating analytical results to stakeholders at a variety of levels
- Experience mentoring more junior members of a team
- Practical understanding of and experience with predictive analytics, machine learning, and/or causal inference
- Familiarity with software development tools and practices (Git, code review, etc.) Competencies
- Understanding of basic marketing concepts and/or past experience in marketing analytics
- Experience in designing and analyzing in-market survey research
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW