We don’t believe in black magic or divine intervention that graces a few lucky entrepreneurs. We do, however, believe in leveraging structured, rigorous thinking and quick, nimble iteration to create products that customers love.
As a Senior Business Analyst -- you will own the data governance process from end to end. There are a several values and analytical questions that guide the team’s thinking:
1. Metric Design - Are the metrics we’re looking at a good reflection of what the business cares about?
2. Accuracy - Are the chosen metrics calculated accurately?
3. Completion - Are all major topics and areas of the business covered by the suite of dashboards?
4. Reliability - Are dashboards always up to date?
5. Organization - Do users know where to go to find the canonical answer about any arbitrary high-level topic?
6. Distribution - Are dashboards delivered on some reasonable cadence to the right stakeholders?
7. Segmentation - Does each dashboard allow filtering and measuring by the most critical dimensions?
8. Usability - Do users understand how to read the dashboards & use the tools available?
9. Beauty - Is it a joy to look at and use these tools?
To answer these questions, we work closely with business teams to develop a suite of metrics, exploratory analyses, tools, and dashboards; all supported by robust data pipelines that scale with the needs of the business.
Reports to: Analytics Manager, Data Visualization
What you'll be doing.
- Works collaboratively with stakeholders across the organization to establish a foundation of data requirements to support analytic capabilities.
- Develops data governance framework to empower users and build trust in the data.
- Defines and owns metrics that capture the spirit of business objectives as closely as possible.
- Works with engineers and other analysts to maintain the consistency and reliability of the data warehouse.
- Monitors data quality and makes recommendations for areas of improvement.
- Evangelizes data governance best practices companywide.
Who we're looking for.
- 3+ years of data management experience (master data, metadata, data architecture, data governance, data quality, data modeling)
- 1+ year(s) Data Governance experience
- Experience gathering requirements and talking to users
- Demonstrable experience teaching or explaining technical results or concepts to less technical audiences
- Experience with data governance and data quality tools
- Strong attention to detail, coupled with a deep bias to action and a healthy dose of pragmatism
- Familiarity with data modeling concepts & common development patterns
- Proven ability to execute on projects quickly; get things done mentality
- Unabashed question asker; willing to learn anything needed to get things done
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.