Senior Business Analyst at Morningstar
The Group: The Product Capabilities group is a product development organization that provides software platforms, services, and components fueling Morningstar’s product portfolio across client segments. This diverse set of teams develop software for truly differentiated capabilities, including robo-advice engines, analytics products, investment research software, portfolio software, financial planning tools, and investment reports. This group is also responsible for Morningstar’s web-based “Cloud” and native-app “Mobile” platforms, and many of the component and service standards across software teams. Nearly every Morningstar product leverages something from the capability teams, whether as a building block or an entire application. We build software users love, at scale.
The Role: Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to blend technical, product, and communication skills? Morningstar is looking for a talented Senior Business Analyst to focus on our API standards. Gone are the days of data tightly coupled to desktop applications. Today our browser-based software runs on API engines fueled by a world-class database. These APIs power our own software, but are also available to external institutions that want the benefit of the value-add calculations while still owning the front-end user experience themselves. APIs don’t come free however, and there’s work to do in promoting best practices for API creation, documentation, and integration across the firm. Sounds exciting, right? Here’s your chance to join the SaaS revolution! This role reports to our Senior Application Architect responsible for API and Component standards, and is located at Morningstar Headquarters in Chicago.
- Own API standards for new APIs. Help disparate teams to understand these standards and apply relevant governance.
- Facilitate methodology change to design-first, API-first, and API as a Product with internal product teams.
- Act as technical writer to document APIs.
- Contribute to, document, and communicate technical strategy for API integration by internal and external software teams.
- Understanding of both business and technical requirements, and the ability to serve as a conduit between product and technology staff.
- Superb technical writing and editing skills, informed by a familiarity with REST API documentation, code samples, and Swagger/OpenApi tools.
- Excellent oral and written communication, planning, and analytical skills.
- Must be a great connector of people, able to work across disparate teams to influence, support, and secure buy-in toward emerging technical standards.
- Interest in and focus on building innovative products and services that users love.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business, or related field.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.