Senior Credit Risk Analyst at Discover (Chicago, IL)
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
This position offers a unique opportunity to understand all Discover’s consumer lending products and make a difference in support of the company’s growth initiative with a risk aware culture. We play to win, get better every day, and succeed together. You will be responsible for developing, applying, and enhancing credit risk oversight processes in support of, and under the oversight of, the overall Corporate Risk Management framework and system.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to coordination and preparation of materials for monthly credit subcommittee meetings, evaluating and monitoring consumer credit risk appetite, tolerance and threshold, defining the process for monitoring the performance of the consumer credit portfolio, and performing reviews of credit risk strategies while using trade-offs among key business metrics such as credit losses, receivables, and profit. Identifies, designs, and implements business analyses in support of business strategies.
- Establishes effective controls in the credit oversight process.
- Designs and implements comprehensive analysis as part of the credit review process, including evaluation of portfolio performance and impact from strategy changes.
- Establishes and maintains effective portfolio tracking to monitor changes in the portfolio credit performance.
- Reviews and effectively challenges the allowance for credit losses assumptions and calculations.
- Applies and enhances credit risk oversight policies, processes, and procedures.
- Assesses and effectively challenges Risk Appetite & KRI tolerances and thresholds.
- Manage the credit subcommittee process including coordinating with business units, preparing subcommittee materials and presentations while ensuring all controls are met.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Statistics, Economics, Engineering, Finance, or other quantitative discipline
- 1+ years of experience as credit analyst/data analyst
- In lieu of a degree, 4+ years of experience as credit analyst/data analyst
- Practical use of software tools including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Nitro
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Master's Degree in Statistics, Economics, Engineering, Finance, or other quantitative discipline
- 2+ years of experience as credit analyst/data analyst
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience as credit analyst/data analyst
- Effective communication and critical thinking skills
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to handle ambiguity
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Detail oriented along with strong organization skills
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.