Senior Data Consultant
The Group: Morningstar’s Research group provides independent analysis on individual securities, managed investments, portfolios, and markets. The group also collects and maintains high-quality data on the equities, managed investments, and fixed-income investments we cover in our database, one of the largest investment databases in the world. Morningstar is one of the largest independent sources of manager, equity, and credit research in the world. We transform data into insights that investors can use to reach their financial goals.
The Role: This role is an ideal position for someone looking to be a driver of innovation in Managed Investment Data. The Senior Data Consultant will represent Morningstar’s data capabilities to clients and industry groups and return the voice of the local market back to the Global data teams. In this role you are responsible for identifying new data opportunities and will collaborate with teams across the company to define and execute upon Morningstar’s unique value proposition in response to industry trends.
The Senior Data Consultant plays a significant role in ensuring that Morningstar’s offering in the emerging managed products space exceeds industry expectations. The emerging managed products space includes, but is not limited to, strategy data, separate accounts, private funds, retirement data, model portfolios, and other emerging investment vehicles and marketplaces. The position will be based in our Chicago office.
• Serve as an expert in Morningstar’s data, calculations, and methodology, with a focus on emerging managed investments.
• Partner with product, sales, and support teams on the prospect discovery process, serving as the subject matter expert to address data inquiries. Produce materials to assist in retaining and obtaining business.
• Manage business relationships with third party data providers. Visit providers and establish acquisition channels, as well as act as a point of escalation if said channels experience failures.
• Manage projects focused on enhancing our database to meet changes in our industry and client’s needs. This includes business analysis on market trends and regulatory changes, liaising with associations or working groups to design data collection plans, and bringing back the voice of the client.
• Monitor competitor behavior, trends and services in order Morningstar are well placed to act on any opportunities that may arise.
• Facilitate the transition of new data acquisition from the Content Researchers to the global Data and Development Center process owners.
• Foster a team dynamic that is motivated to improve the customer experience.
• A minimum of two years of experience, with demonstrated ability to foster successful external relationships.
• Strong organizational and time-management skills.
• Expertise in Morningstar data, methodology, quality and processes.
• Experience working with Morningstar’s internal database tools and data collection processes, including DataManager, XOI, RDB, and TSDB
• Experience working across stakeholder groups such as Research, Technology, Sales, Client Service, and Product
• Experience working directly with asset managers or third-party data vendors
• Demonstrated understanding of the local financial industry, with a focus on the emerging managed investment vehicles that you’ll be supporting
• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity provider.