SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
This position supports the Product and Technology Department by managing work associated with the support of organizational data systems.
- Design, write, test, and debug database queries to extract, calculate or manipulate information to build KPI reports and dashboards
- Schedules and coordinates database maintenance activities including such items as database reorganizations and restructures to meet the business requirement from the business operation teams
- Monitors current Database/Data Warehouse performance, develops procedures/ETLs and improve the Database/Data Warehouse performance
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements
- Build and maintain the infrastructure required for optimal ETL process (extraction, transformation and loading of data) from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS/Azure technologies
- Monitoring key product metrics and understanding root causes of changes in metrics
- Empower and assist operation and product teams through building key data sets and data-based recommendations
- Automating reports/Analysis and authoring pipelines via SQL/python based ETL framework
- Train junior members of the data engineering team
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role:
- Verbal Communication: Able to communicate complex business issues of strategic significance to large and small audiences including in an adversarial environment with customers and external parties
- Written Communication: Able to write reports, announcements, communications and materials of significant commercial sensitivity which are clearly understood and achieve the overarching objective
- Teamwork: Able to foster a collaborative and productive environment in teams, including those of disparate members from across or outside SMS
- Relationships: Able to build strong and trusting relationships with individuals and leaders across and outside SMS which achieve desi
- Learning Agility: Able to set direction and create productive outcomes in an environment of ambiguity, uncertainty and change
- Analysis: Able to undertake complex data analysis, using interpretive skills and business knowledge to draw conclusions and make recommendations
- Problem Solving: Able to apply a range of advanced problem-solving techniques to complex business issues, and apply creativity to the development of solutions
- Prioritization: Able to decide between competing priorities or limited resources to achieve significant business outcomes best aligned with the SMS strategy
Role Specific Skills
- Database: Advanced in Relational(MySQL) and Non-Relational(MongoDB) Database
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases; strong knowledge of database systems in general (Foreign keys, indexes, basic DBA tasks)
- Understanding of Data Warehouse (RedShift/Azure DW)
- Understanding of ETL best practices and data engineering
- Python or other scripting languages
- Some experience with performance tuning and query optimization
- Experience with Data Lake is a plus
- Experience in large scale data processing using traditional and distributed systems like Hadoop, Spark, and Airflow is a plus
- Education: Bachelor or Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field - or commensurate experience
- Master’s Degree preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in relevant field for Level I
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.