Kin Insurance is on a mission to change home insurance from what it could be to what it should be. We're proud to offer affordable insurance coverage in areas most impacted by climate change, like Florida, California and Louisiana, that pay more for insurance than anywhere else in America.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In's 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.So, what's the role?
Data is central to Kin's operations and success. As a data engineer, you will be part of a data management team that supports and enables our product, operations, analytics, and data science teams, amongst others. As we scale, you will be integral in how we manage, structure, and store our data, as well as develop new solutions related to data architecture and ETL pipelines.
- Creating, designing, and maintaining ETL pipelines
- Working with data science and BI teams to create data sets to be used in various projects
- Taking on more advanced design and architectural decisions in the lifecycle of our data processing
- Participating in daily stands and weekly retros
- Collaborating with cross-functional team members
- Providing subject matter expertise and support
- 6+ years of data engineering and/or dba experience
- Experience with the entire ETL pipeline: Data Integration tools, Databases, Big Data Platforms, and cloud based data platforms.
- Exposure to and support of data visualization tools, such as Looker.
- Experience in building from the ground up a modern next generation data warehouse platform.
- Advanced proficiency with SQL or PL/SQL optimization and development.
- Experience working with AWS-based Data Platforms is preferred.
- Deep understanding of data architecture as it relates to business goals and objectives
- Strong scripting skills in one or more of the following: Bash, Python, and/or Ruby
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Remote Work (due to Covid-19) and flexible work hours
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we're making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We're a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it's how we treat each other. That's one of the many reasons we've been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.EEOC Statement
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don't discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.