Senior Data Engineer
About Label Insight:
Label Insight is the market leader for transparency and digital transformation, providing a full-stack data platform for CPG product attribute data and images covering more than 80 percent of top selling food, pet, and personal care items in the U.S. The company's technology combines supply chain and on-package product information and employs proprietary data science and machine learning capabilities to create more than 22,000 high order attributes per product. This solution set delivers transparency to consumers and powers digital transformation through analytics, marketing, merchandising, and e-commerce solutions for leading organizations across the Retail, Brand Manufacturer, Government, and Technology industries. For more information, visit http://www.labelinsight.com
The company, with locations in Chicago and St. Louis, recently announced closing $21M in third-round funding to power expansion and hiring, supporting industry leading clients including Unilever, ConAgra, Albertsons, Meijer, Dole, and numerous other CPG brands and retailers.
About the Role:
The Senior Data Engineer will help craft the future of Label Insight’s data processing pipeline by helping evangelize modern DataOps Principles. Label Insight’s Data Engineers evangelize the DataOps movement, providing the glue between Product, Engineering and Data Science.
In this role, you will be responsible for helping build alignment between all technical teams within Label Insight. You will help define and implement an overall data strategy which crosses engineering, data science, data management and data governance. Also, you will help streamline the delivery of products and data to our customers.
As a member of the Data Engineering team, you will help evangelize a data driven culture at Label Insight. Employees will seek your advice to solve their data problems, both big and small. You will need deep technical experience with a solid foundational understanding of data.
- Liberate, mine and augment our enormous amount of data into functional, actionable products and services that cut across many organizational teams
- Collaborate closely in an equal partnership with business and engineering teams
- Significantly impact a thriving, innovative business
- Promote cross-functional partnerships with both business and technology stakeholders, championing change while delivering measurable results
- Collaborate with Data Science, Product, and Engineering stakeholders to define and implement data powered products, and deploy and maintain them in production
- Seek out ways to automate and accelerate development of data driven products
- Exemplify software engineering best practices and proactively identify technical debt and other issues to harden our products (DataOps)
- Deep understanding and experience with applying the latest data stores (eg. Graph, Temporal, Key Value, Document, Columnar, RDS, Blob)
- Experience using the latest cloud offerings for data science, storage, query and transfer (Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform)
- Deep understanding and experience with applying the latest data processing techniques Mapreduce, Streaming (Apache Beam, Kinesis, Spark, Kafka)
- Passion for applying modern software engineering principles to the challenge of data based applications (source control, CI/CD, Versioning, A/B testing)
- Understanding of modern and legacy application architectures (Event Based, Rest, Message Driven, 3 Tier)
- Understanding of different automation workflow techniques (track, manage) to provide visibility and actionable items to our data processing pipeline
- Passion for driving data driven decisions by deeply understanding problem domains and seeking out or helping collect required data
- Help develop and drive a technical roadmap which incorporates technology and systems that build towards a strategic direction for the organization
- Passion for driving data engineering and data product development projects to completion focusing on maximising business value
- Transparency: We’re transparent and open regarding our work.
- Collaboration: We’re team players. We support and trust our co-workers, celebrate each other’s wins and learn from each other’s failures. We help to create an environment where everyone can thrive.
- Iteration and Innovation: We’re not afraid to challenge assumptions and make suggestions for better solutions, try new ideas, or take smart risks. We challenge the status quo, and feel safe to make mistakes knowing we can learn from them rather than repeat them.
- Intellectual Honesty and Humility: We pursue the best answer, not proving ourselves right. We are aware of your own biases and admit when we’re wrong. We’re willing to ask for help when we need it.
- Accountability: We take responsibility for our own work quality, problems and solutions, and how our actions affect those around us.
- Quality Driven: We strive for quality in our work and our approach to our role. We make data-driven decisions.
- Flexible paid vacation
- Flexible work hours
- Kitchen stocked with snacks, drinks, a kegerator and more!
- Casual, dog-friendly, open-layout workspace
- Company subsidized Health Insurance, and 401(k) and commuter benefits
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Catered team lunches every other week
- Regular team events and happy hours
- Maternity/Paternity Leave