Senior Data Engineer at Sprout Social
At Sprout Social, we build software used by 20,000 companies to create stronger relationships with their customers and create the world’s most beloved brands. As a SaaS product used 24/7/365 by organizations of all sizes, sectors, and geographies, we consume and generate vast amounts of data which hold great potential to improve our business and products. We’re looking for a passionate data engineer to contribute to our data engineering practice within the data analytics and data science teams to ensure business stakeholders and data scientists get the data they need to drive reporting, analytics and machine learning at Sprout.
Relying on your experience with data warehousing and writing ETL pipelines, you will enable analytics and data science teams to provide critical insights and new product features to Sprout. Our systems touch and are used by all parts of Sprout’s business, from integrating data from across Sprout’s varying databases and partner APIs, to creating and maintaining the event service leveraged by Sprout’s product teams. Our team uses a variety of technologies, including Python, Java, Spark, Redshift, Airflow, EMR, Elasticsearch, Docker, and Kinesis.
We’re building diverse, collaborative teams that get the best results sustainably. Embedded as a member of data science and analytics team, you will work in tandem with data analysts, data scientists and business stakeholders to define requirements for data warehousing and services.
We’re looking for a creative, collaborative, highly motivated, and inquisitive learner to build great software with us. If you confidently write data pipelines and warehouses that process and store terabytes, can write Python or Java-based services to serve up data, and are passionate about learning, we’d love to talk with you!
We’re looking for Data Engineers that have a great track record of:
- Building and maintaining ETL pipelines and data warehousing.
- Conducting software development in Python and/or Java, owning the entire development lifecycle, from development and testing, to deployment, monitoring and maintenance.
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases.
- Programmatic development of ETL pipelines through software such as Airflow, Luigi, etc.
- Experience using and deploying to cloud-based platforms such as AWS, Azure or Google Cloud.
- Experience working with data scientists, analysts and other business stakeholders to define data warehousing needs.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members.
- Become familiar with data sources available in our data lake.
- Learn about Airflow and our ETL processes.
- Pair with our other senior data engineer to learn about the libraries and processed owned by data engineering.
- Begin meeting with data science stakeholders to understand existing responsibilities and needs.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Add data sources to our production data warehouse.
- Modify and/or write new data pipelines using Airflow and push them to production.
- Become familiar with our Java-based service used to store and process all events produced by Sprout’s products.
- Work with data science and business stakeholders to develop technical requirements for new data sources and services.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Develop data processing pipelines using EMR and Spark.
- Serve as on-call for support rotations.
- Take ownership and improve existing ETL jobs in Airflow, processing hundreds of millions of data points a day.
- Help develop processes for monitoring and alerting around our data warehouse, ETL jobs and services.
- Form a career growth plan with your manager and work towards it.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Help develop new frameworks and libraries to allow the data science team to iterate more quickly on new ETL and data sources.
- Own the event-generation service used across Sprout’s products.
- Help improve our existing deployment procedures.
- Identify technical debt and performance bottlenecks within our systems, come up with a plan to improve the code, and get it pushed to production.
- Create processes to improve the integrity of data stored in our data warehouse.
- Expand your skills by learning from other engineers around Sprout.
- Optimize Redshift tables for use in serving data into Tableau dashboards and data science models used by the whole company.
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change your team in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Optional: When applying, please share work samples, projects, or publications.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago and Seattle
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. We value the things that make us different and want to see how you can make our team better!