SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The Senior Data Scientist II role is part of the Software Development Data Team which is overseeing the activities of the junior data scientists and provides advanced expertise on statistical and mathematical concepts for the broader Data Team. The Senior Data Scientist applies and inspires the adoption of advanced data science and analytics across the business.
The Data Scientist synthesizes and leverages the business’s dataset and data to enhance the business’ capabilities for overall goal achievement. The Senior Data Scientist is instrumental in helping the business continue its evolution into an analytical and data-driven culture.
This role of the Senior Data Scientist supports relevant stakeholders through quantitative analytics, and the application of appropriate advanced analytics for the business’s key initiatives.
- Develop advanced predictive models and exploratory data analyses that will unveil key data insights leveraging both structured and unstructured data.
- Work closely with Data Engineering and the business team to determine what data insights need to be derived and the problem statement that should guide the analysis in order to solve business problems
- Act as a key communicator of analytical results and insights to various stakeholders across and outside the company
- Drive all analytics efforts supporting the product development lifecycle.
- Use machine learning to improve and automate processes in SMS proprietary tools
- Apply data mining techniques to make recommendations based on data and communicates results through insightful visualizations, reports and presentations
- Improve the dataset (or data repository) quality by cleaning the company’s data and collecting information from new sources
- Translate business analytics problems into technical approaches in diverse domains such as vendor recommendation, work scheduling and technician dispatch, etc.
- Collaborate with different teams to develop, refine, and scale procedures and workflows.
- Foster a positive team environment
- Ensure confidentiality of internal and external data
- Perform ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role.
- Verbal Communication - Proficient
- Written Communication - Proficient
- Teamwork - Proficient
- Relationships - Proficient
- Negotiation - Proficient
- Organizational Awareness - Proficient
- Learning Agility - Proficient
- Analysis - Proficient
- Problem Solving - Proficient
- Process Orientation - Proficient
- Prioritization - Advanced
Role Specific Skills
- Ability to independently develop advanced statistical and machine learning models using a variety of techniques (e.g. GLM, Neural Networks, Tree-based learning methods)
- Expert level knowledge in one or more languages commonly used in data analytics (Python, R, Java, Scala, etc.). Python / R proficiency is strongly preferred
- Expert level knowledge in SQL and database management, both relational and big-data platforms.
- Experience in managing, validating, and manipulating large, complex datasets
- Strong ability to communicate complex analyses and concepts to non-technical audiences within and outside of the organization
- Comfortable performing independent research to support analytics decisions as part of the product lifecycle
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative or technical field such as mathematics, statistics, computer science, or engineering with 8 or more years of experience in a data science and/or predictive analytics role or a Masters or Ph.D. degree in a relevant discipline with 3 or more years of experience in a data science and/or predictive analytics role (Masters or Ph.D. strongly preferred)
Other Relevant Qualifications
- Experience with natural language processing.
- Advanced knowledge of Data Warehousing and BI best practices
- Experience with big data tools such as Spark, Hadoop, etc.
- Experience with Tableau or Superset.