About the Engineering Team:
Our Engineering team is chock-full of smart, dedicated, and creative team members. Each one has a desire to experiment with new and unfamiliar technology to solve their cross-functional (XFN) team's business objectives. We're passionate about best practices and strive to follow standards laid out before us. The team is encouraged to get involved in the tech community by participating in open source projects, speaking at local meetups, and presenting at national and international conferences.
Who You Are:
You’re an innovator; you share our common interest in improving and scaling our existing architecture and systems. Your excellent communication skills are key when collaborating closely with Product, internal customers, other engineers and data scientists to determine the best way to build products that meet their needs. You’re hungry for growth and with our Data Science Ladder you can visualize your career path. We are quality driven and you must be too. We expect that you’ll get involved and stay informed with the latest trends in technology and experiment with how to apply those to help consumers make more educated and healthier decisions.
**Even if you don’t check all the criteria boxes, we encourage you to apply. We’re looking for people with diverse backgrounds, exceptional potential and a passion for their craft.
How You’ll Contribute:
A contributing member of an agile team made up of several engineers, data scientists and a product manager working together to design, build, implement and maintain complex machine learning and/or deep learning solutions / systems (image processing, data extraction, data classification, projections and suggestions, data optimization)
- Work closely with operations and subject matter experts to optimize internal processes and/or build customer facing solutions
- Work in and build solutions for a hybrid cloud environment in Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform, using some of the leading cloud native technologies including serverless computing and containerization
- Move rapidly towards strategic goals, our team pushes code over 50 times a day. This tends to come about as a quick minimal viable solution (MVP), and then rapid iteration towards a final solution
- Take complex problems and concepts and simplify them for different technical and non technical audiences
- Provide documentation and explanation on technical solutions and model architectures in a concise and professional manner
- Collaborate with individuals from your team and other teams to provide the best solutions possible
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Strong and proven background in critical thinking and problem solving
- BS or MS degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., statistics, operations research, bioinformatics, economics, computational biology, computer science, statistical engineering, mathematics, physics, electrical engineering or relevant experience in the industry).
- 5+ years of data transformation, statistical modeling and/or deep learning as a Data Scientist, Engineer, Machine Learning/Data Engineer, Architect, etc.
- Experience with data storage tools and databases (e.g., AWS S3, AWS Redshift, Google Cloud Storage, Google Big Query, MySQL, PostgeSQL, Graph Databases, NoSQL, DyanmoDB).
- Experience with machine learning and deep learning frameworks (e.g., TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, Pandas)
- Experience with dataset creation, data cleansing, data augmentation and/or synthetic data generation
- Experience working with version control software (Git preferred)
- Experience with developing API services (Flask / Sanic preferred)
- Strong Python programming experience
- Demonstrated skills in selecting the right statistical tools given a data analysis problem
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated willingness to teach others and learn new techniques.
- Strong experience designing and maintaining deep learning solutions (e.g., Optical Character Recognition, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing, Trend Analysis)
- Experience with cloud computing, serverless computing and/or containerization (Docker, AWS Lambda, Google Cloud Functions, Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Heroku)
- Applied experience with machine learning on large datasets
- Contribution to research communities and/or efforts, including publishing papers at conferences such as NIPS, ICML, ACL, CVPR, etc.
- Any experience with nutritional science and the product marketing domain would be highly advantageous
- Experience mentoring junior data scientists
- Experience working in an agile environment (Kanban, Scrum, Extreme) working closely with other engineers and product management
We Share a Common Purpose:
Label Insight’s purpose is to empower consumers with the knowledge to improve their lives through better product choices. Our purpose keeps our team focused and aligned as we drive growth for our grocery retailer and CPG customers through unparalleled transparency.
We Live Our Values:
- Transparency: We share information freely and concisely as a team
- Inclusion & Collaboration: We believe working together as our unique-selves better serves our customers and community
- Iteration & Innovation: We speak up early, are honest about our limits, and leverage failure as an asset
- Intellectual Honesty & Humility: We encourage open debate and favor the best ideas
- Accountability: We own the successes and failures of our team
- Quality Driven: We hold our work to the highest standards and embrace problems as opportunities
The Benefits & Perks of Joining Us:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Flexible work hours
- Flexible paid time-off on top of 12 business days for standard holidays (Label Insight is closed for 1 week during the winter holiday season)
- Company subsidized health insurance, dental and vision benefits
- Paid Maternity and Paternity Leave
- 401(k) Plan
- Employer Paid Basic Life Insurance Policy and STD/LTD
- Transportation/Commuter benefits
- Employment Referral Bonus
- Educational Assistance and Management Training Programs
- Casual and collaborative, open-layout work space - dog-friendly office in Chicago
- Catered team lunches - every other week
- Cold brew and beer on tap
- Regularly scheduled team gatherings
*At Label Insight we embrace diversity and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds and qualifications. We’re proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.