Senior Data Scientist at SpotHero
At SpotHero, we are focused on building a platform and a suite of consumer products that will take parking your car into the future: always connected, zero touch and a seamless experience on the street, with a valet, at an event, or at a lot. By doing this, we will transform an industry and change the technological landscape for parking. We want to deliver a magical experience for drivers everywhere.
Data is fundamentally the voice of the customer for us. It is a snapshot of a user’s actions and thoughts at a particular time and it’s one of our most valuable assets since it serves as a real and actionable data set that can help us create more compelling and innovative products for our customers. Data science sits on top of our data and serves to translate and decipher it into something that can inform our overall design, architecture, and strategy.
Who we are: At SpotHero, we work as a team to empower people to get everywhere, easier! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
What will you do:
- Be part of a cross-functional data organization that includes data science, infrastructure and data engineers.
- Dig in and understand our products and business process, as well as how our customers use SpotHero via analysis of large heterogeneous data sets.
- Collaborate with team members across the business (engineering, product, design, marketing, supply, PR, and verticals) to define and implement creative solutions and data products for experiments and analysis that will exponentially grow our business. For example:
- Work with product and marketing to analyze behavioral patterns and ideate on strategies for increasing new customers and overall customer retention.
- Design and build data visualizations and dashboards used across the business.
- Evaluate new data sources and/or new data science technologies in the business environment.
- Act as a key contributor across the organization by clearly articulating data-driven recommendations and insights quickly and concisely, therefore improving and/or disrupting existing business operations.
- Work with the Engineering and Product leaders and others to help define and refine the data science strategy and roadmap for upcoming quarters.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Physics or equivalent work experience - we value hard work and building innovative solutions, so showing us that you have done that is more important than your major.
- Experience in a B2C company with a track record of using data to innovate and drive growth.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 3 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 2 years experience; or equivalent experience.
- Strong SQL skills
- Above average programming skills in Python and/or R (including Pandas, Scikit-Learn, NumPy, Matplotlib/Seaborn/some other visualization tool).
- Project experience using distributed data analytics technologies (eg Spark, Presto, Hive)
Nice to haves are:
- Experience with a modern data pipeline technology stack (eg Airflow)
- Kubernetes and/or Mesos experience
- Kafka, Spark and/or Flink experience
- Aurora and/or Postgres experience
- Data visualization using D3.js
- AWS experience
- Open source contributions to a few major projects
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits –
- In the US we cover up to 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, company sponsored Life Insurance, 401K, and generous parental leave.
- In Canada we offer Medical (prescription drug and paramedical coverage), Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, STD and LTD.
- Flexible PTO policy and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Annual parking stipend – we help people park!
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
SpotHero is an equal opportunity employer. We know that a diverse workforce is the strongest workforce, and are committed to building and supporting an inclusive environment for all.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is ineligible for visa sponsorship. To be considered for this role, you must be legally authorized to work in Canada or the US and not require sponsorship for employment now or in the future.