Senior Data Scientist
The Senior Data Scientist is primarily responsible for engineering machine learning pipelines, identifying and creating data products, and working to streamline production of data products through automation.
This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in helping to define what data science looks like on a growing team. At Neighborhoods.com, we heavily emphasize the science in data science and have high standards for rigor, but we are also keenly aware that the science has no value until it’s implemented for our users and internal stakeholders in the form of well-engineered data software. If that sounds like your cup of tea, then we’d love to hear about what you bring to the table.
Our existing team has a niche to fill with a Senior Data Scientist lying closer to engineer than mathematician on the broader data science spectrum. You will act as the main authority on taking data science projects from the Jupyter notebook into production while also contributing to analytical and design decisions, as well as mentoring junior data scientists.
- Experience with some array of popular machine learning algorithms such as deep learning, gradient boosting, random forests, and logistic regression.
- Strong understanding of hyperparameter tuning, especially minimizing its computational cost.
- Must be equally comfortable in a Jupyter notebook and at the command line.
- Awareness of current trends in data engineering and the technical side of data science.
- Bonus qualifications include: advanced degree in computer science or another quantitative field and experience programming in Java and/or PHP.
- Big bonus points for experience working with geospatial data.
What You'll be doing:
- Helping to define data science at Neighborhoods.com. We’re a newer team, but we have a lot of internal support and are very eager to continue our success.
- Maintaining existing data products and continuously working to create new ones. Things we’re already doing or plan to soon: NLP, image classification, time series prediction, automated language generation, marketing optimization, geospatial analysis.
- Working with the engineering team to deliver high-quality data products to our users. Emphasis on high-quality. We have high standards and you should too.
- Participating in our engineering culture, with an emphasis on contributing ideas, thoughts, and constructive feedback regarding the work of others on our team. Neighborhoods.com is a place where speaking up is highly encouraged.
- Working with back-end engineers to continuously improve our data architecture. We currently have no data engineer and regard these responsibilities as a cross-team shared effort within the broader Engineering department.
- Engaging in ongoing review and education relating to our work here at Neighborhoods and data science at large as it’s practiced elsewhere. Continuous improvement is a key tenant of our culture.
Education and Experience:
- Experience using Python and/or R in a data science production environment. The majority of our work is done in Python.
- 2+ years of experience engineering data science pipelines, especially in an environment heavily supported by AWS.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or another quantitative field.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 401K with match
- Ventra pre-tax transit benefits
- Near public transit - across the street from Clybourn Metra stop!
- Kitchen stocked with snacks & great coffee
- Cold brew coffee & craft beer on tap
- Flexible vacation/Work from home policies
- Casual dress code
- Group outings
- Competitive salary based on level of experience