Senior Data Scientist at Trunk Club
When you join Trunk Club, you join the Nordstrom family. Our fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment is paired with the strong history and experience of a retail legacy. We have access to some of the greatest minds in retail and technology and are constantly creating innovative strategies to develop the ultimate apparel solutions. We welcome your adaptability, your curiosity, and your passion to contribute to our unparalleled shopping experience!Who we are
At Trunk Club, we develop machine learning algorithms that enable the business to make data-driven decisions, from whom marketing targets for re-engagement credits, to which merchandise to recommend for a given customer. Our data scientists dive into readily accessible data and tools thanks to our diligent data engineering team. Our stack provides data scientists the capability to easily turn an algorithm into an API, and run follow-up A/B tests using a range of multivariate models at your disposal. Every team relies not only on the data insights collected, but more importantly in the clever ways that we present it at every step in our experience.
Data Science helps drive Trunk Club. Every member plays a critical role in influencing the company on the best ways to grow and change. You will have autonomy to collaborate with every team and be directly connected to decision makers without bureaucracy.What you'll do
- Work closely with technology partners to develop and maintain Machine Learning infrastructure that powers our ranking models, member apps, inventory classification, etc. Our preferred language is Python, and you'll regularly be working with real-time information from Kafka streaming systems.
- Research, develop, and implement predictive algorithms using various supervised and unsupervised statistical concepts, such as time series, multivariate methods, GLM, and Bayesian inference. The solutions will be deployed as real-time APIs in our microservice infrastructure.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the areas of big data machine learning techniques, such as gradient boosting, bagging, family of recommender methods, NLP, and image content analysis.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to identify business opportunities, and how to translate the opportunities into actionable analytical solutions. Additional business areas may include operational efficiency and inventory optimization.
- Independently lead algorithm initiatives from problem statement conception to solution development and implementation, providing ongoing and meaningful communications to stakeholders on progress and next steps.
- MS in a quantitative field from a top ranking program, PhD is highly preferred.
- 6+ years of relevant industry experiences (post academia).
- Proven successes in building and deploying Machine Learning models, and providing strategic vision within a team environment.
- Expert programming ability in Python with Jupyter, Pandas, and sklearn. Will also consider strong quantitative candidates with background in R or other programming languages.
- Proven track record working hands-on with data end-to-end.
- Demonstrated success visualizing data and explaining complex concepts through effective communication.
- An evangelist. You love what you do and have a knack for communicating technical jargon to any audience.
- A learner. You have an insatiable thirst for knowledge and greater understanding.
- A pragmatist. Your goal is to create useful products, not build technology for technology’s sake.
- An entrepreneur. You’re truly invested in the success of the team and the business.
- With others. We collaborate cross-functionally to solve problems and deliver the best products for our customers.
- With transparency. We have an open, collaborative team environment. No cubicles, no private offices.
- With agility. We don’t believe in following a process for process’s sake. We ship frequently and focus on delivering incremental value.
- With open minds. We are committed to building a diverse team of people with unique perspectives. This encourages a healthy and inclusive environment that builds a more sustainable, successful company.
- With pride. We value our people most of all. We invest in ourselves by applying our own strengths and interests to company needs.
- Lunch and learns
- Annual stipend for continuous education
- Tech all-hands every other Friday
- Hack days
- Team outings
- Nordstrom discount
- Flexible work environment
- Social environment with built-in bars
- Competitive package with relocation assistance and visa sponsorship where applicable