About the Role
The Senior Database Engineer will work with development team to re-design and upgrade our databases to AWS Aurora PostgreSQL and also maintain existing SQL Sever databases powering critical applications in Morningstar software department.
- Database design and review based on project requirements
- Implement and maintain database code in the form of stored procedures, scripts, queries, views, triggers, etc. based on project requirements on Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL and SQL Server.
- Support Applications implementation projects from initiation to completion.
- Ensure all proposed changes to the live application or infrastructure environments are suitably tested with roll-back capability and change controls exercised accordingly.
- Support clients' database inquires and provide timely solutions.
- Support database inquires from business teams and upper management.
- Provide support for the on-premise and Cloud databases, including monitoring database health and troubleshooting performance issue to ensure a stable environment.
- Participate as a member in Agile teams, and work with other team members to review user stories, estimate effort to build functionality supporting user stories, and participate in sprint reviews.
- 7+ years of experience on database development and administration
- 3+ years working with large and complex databases on PostgreSQL and strong understanding of cloud database technologies
- Advanced knowledge of query optimization, index management, statistics, and partitioning.
- Proficient in SQL, including stored procedures, functions, triggers, and views.
- Ability to efficiently write database code without compromising data quality, privacy or security.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to evaluate alternative solutions and/or workarounds
- Understands the need for documentation and well-defined procedures.
- Able to interact positively and with tact with all levels and be a good team player.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills; can clearly explain and present problems and issues to others and contribute to their resolution.
- Able to make decisions and remain calm while under pressure – particularly when dealing with difficult situations.
- Bachelors Degree in computer science or relevant field with equivalent experience.
Nice to have
- Strong SQL server experience is a plus
- Financial industry work experience is a plus
- Strong financial data knowledge is a plus
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity