Senior Database Engineer at Morningstar
About the Role
The Senior Database Engineer will take part in new project developments and maintain existing SQL Server databases powering critical applications in Morningstar software department. This position will also contribute to the re-design and migration of our databases to AWS Aurora PostgreSQL.
- Define best practices in database administration and introduce innovation with automation.
- Migrate databases from SQL Server to PostgreSQL on AWS Cloud
- Identify inefficiencies in current databases and implement improved solutions.
- Responsible for providing day-to-day administration support and maintenance for existing and new databases on prem and on AWS Cloud.
- Monitor production server health, trouble shoot performance issue, and be part of the on-call rotation when required.
- Database design and review based on project requirements and support applications implementation projects from initiation to completion.
- Implement and maintain database code in the form of stored procedures, scripts, queries, views, triggers, etc. based on project requirements on Amazon Aurora PostgreSQL and SQL Server.
- Ensure all proposed changes to the live application or infrastructure environments are suitably tested with roll-back capability and change controls exercised accordingly.
- Support clients' and business teams’ database inquires and provide timely solutions.
- Participate as a member in Agile teams, and work with other team members to review user stories, estimate effort to build new functionality and participate in sprint reviews.
- 7+ years of experience on database development and administration
- 4+ years working with large and complex databases on PostgreSQL and strong understanding of cloud technologies
- Advanced knowledge of query optimization, index management, statistics, and partitioning.
- Experienced in building complex scripts, queries, and stored procedures without compromising data quality, privacy, or security.
- Understands the need for documentation and well-defined procedures.
- Forward thinking infrastructure automation and scripting skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, and collaborative skills to facilitate cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work with team members located in multiple geographies and time zones.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision seeking direction as required.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills and ability to clearly explain and present problems and issues to others and contribute to their resolution.
- Ability to make decisions and remain calm while under pressure – particularly when dealing with difficult situations.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or relevant field with equivalent experience.
Would be a plus
- Financial industry work experience is a plus
- Strong financial data knowledge is a plus