Senior Machine Learning Engineer / Data Scientist at Nordstrom Trunk Club
When you join Trunk Club, you join the Nordstrom family. Our fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment is paired with the strong history and experience of a retail legacy. We have access to some of the greatest minds in retail and technology and are constantly creating innovative strategies to develop the ultimate apparel solutions. We welcome your adaptability, your curiosity, and your passion to contribute to our unparalleled shopping experience!Who we are
At Trunk Club, we are reinventing the retail industry through the power of data and artificial intelligence. We are working on exciting, cutting edge and impactful opportunities, such as: building advanced recommendation systems, making sense of text data via natural language processing, extracting valuable insights from images via computer vision algorithms and develop machine learning solutions that enable the business to make data-driven decisions. Our Machine Learning Engineer / Data Scientist dive into readily accessible data and tools thanks to our diligent data engineering team.
Machine Learning / Data Science helps Trunk Club thrive. Every member plays a critical role in influencing the company on the best ways to grow and change. You will have autonomy to collaborate with every team and be directly connected to decision makers without bureaucracy.
If this excites you, join our world class Machine Learning Engineer / Data Scientist team!What you'll do
- Research, develop, prototype and productize machine learning products using various AI approaches (supervised and unsupervised learning, deep learning, recommender systems, computer vision, natural language processing, etc.).
- Own large-to-complex machine learning projects independently leading the initiatives from problem statement conception to solution development and implementation, providing ongoing and meaningful communications to stakeholders on progress and trade-offs.
- Your passion for machine learning, curiosity, problem solving, and innovation will empower you to deliver stay up-to-date with research and to prototype new ideas quickly
- Collaborate with a cross functional agile team spanning product management, engineering, user research and design to build innovative product solutions. Work closely with technology partners to leverage and improve our Machine Learning infrastructure. Influence the product strategy by uncovering business opportunities.
- Be a role model of our world class data science team. You will provide technical excellence, identify ways to improve our processes and toolkits and mentor team members to continuously elevate the technical proficiency of the team.
- MSc in computer science, engineering or equivalent STEM degree, ideally from a top ranking program. PhD is a plus.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience .
- Proven successes in building and deploying Machine Learning models to production, working hands-on with data end-to-end and providing strategic vision within a team environment.
- You master the entire end-to-end ML pipeline with solid, vast and deep proficiency of the families of techniques for each step of the ML product development. Ideally, you are an expert in at least one of the following: recommender systems, natural language processing, computer vision, deep learning.
- Expert programming ability in Python and proficient in several machine learning frameworks and libraries (e.g., spark, scikit-learn, pandas, numpy, tensorflow, pytorch, keras, theano, seaborn, matplotlib, etc.) (e.g., etc.)
- Excellent software engineering best practices
- Demonstrated success in framing business opportunities into clear ML objectives and in effectively communicating complex technical concepts to a cross-functional audience.
- Track record of peer reviewed publications and presentations at relevant ML conferences a plus.
- A self-starter. You love what you do and are motivated to find the next improvement opportunity.
- A learner. You have an insatiable thirst for knowledge and greater understanding.
- An evangelist.You love what you do and have a knack for communicating technical jargon to any audience.
- An innovator. You're interested in the "why" and the solutions that make things more interesting and efficient.
- With open minds. We are committed to building a diverse team of people with unique perspectives. This encourages a healthy and inclusive environment that builds a more sustainable, successful company.
- With others. We collaborate cross-functionally to solve problems and deliver the best products for our customers.
- With transparency. We have an open, collaborative team environment. No cubicles, no private offices.
- With agility. We don’t believe in following a process for process’s sake. We ship frequently and focus on delivering incremental value.
- With pride. We value our people most of all. We invest in ourselves by applying our own strengths and interests to company needs.
- Tremendous opportunity to work on some of the most exciting machine learning problems
- Career advancement opportunities and annual stipend for continuous education
- Lunch and learns
- Tech all-hands every other Friday
- Hack days
- State of the art workplace environment in the popular Chicago River North neighborhood
- Comprehensive health coverage, competitive salary, 401(k) match
- Unlimited vacation
- Flexible work environment
- Team outings
- Nordstrom discount
- Social environment with built-in bars, a rooftop view, and our very own coffee shop!
- A company culture like you’ve never experienced