Senior Manager, Data Engineering
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Enterprise Technology (ET) team at Discover is looking for a Sr. Manager, Data Engineering. In this role you will lead one or more Agile teams dedicated to pushing the limits of continuous improvement and innovation. If you are equally adept at managing and mentoring engineers, architecting and implementing cutting edge technology solutions, leading through change, and managing large scale production operations, this role is for you.
In this role you will:
- Lead a focused Agile team to build and deliver software that enables state of the art, next generation Big Data & Fast Data applications
- Utilize tools and programming languages like Ab Initio, Java, Scala, Python and Open Source RDBMS and NoSQL databases and Cloud-based data warehousing services such as Snowflake and Redshift
- Leverage DevOps techniques and practices like CI/CD, Test Automation, Build Automation and Test Driven Development to enable the rapid delivery of working code utilizing tools like Jenkins, Maven, Nexus, Chef, Ansible, Git, and Docker
- Raise the bar and lead a team that delivers results that matter most to our company
- Expertly balance delivery innovation with operational excellence in a data driven way
- Lead the industry’s best talent and simultaneously have the technical chops to ensure we are developing the appropriate data assets based on the highest value business use cases
- Be a force for technological and organizational change as we push to differentiate our company with data
- Develops and enhances technology solutions to enable seamless integration and flow of data across the data ecosystem.
- Designs and develops data ingestion and processes frameworks leveraging open-source tools.
- Designs and develops real-time processing solutions using open-source tools.
- Develops and manages a team that delivers data and analytic technologies.
- Consults team members during the design and development of projects.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 8+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering
- Proven ability to champion an idea and bring a group to consensus
- Proven ability to translate functional needs into technical solutions
- Excellent problem-solving skills involving complex and ambiguous issues
- Experience work in an Agile Scrum delivery framework
- At least 5 years of experience managing tactical delivery teams
- At least 6 years of professional work experience in data warehousing / analytics
- At least 2 years of experience in open source programming languages for data analysis
- At least 4 years of ETL/ELT experience
- At least 3 years of data model development
- At least 3 years of Business Intelligence/reporting experience
- At least 1 year of experience working with cloud data capabilities, including cloud ETL
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!