Senior Principal Business Data Architect
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
We are looking for an experienced, senior leader with a successful track record of collaborating with cross-functional teams across the business, analytics and technology. The ideal candidate needs to demonstrate both breadth and depth across multiple disciplines including Big Data landscape and Cloud-based solutions.
Responsible for planning and overseeing the execution of business initiatives while ensuring the company’s systems provide functionality and flexibility aligned with long-term objectives. Oversees the strategy execution and pipeline of projects for mergers and acquisitions.
- Mentors and assists team members.
- Researches technology trends and strategies.
- Develops system architecture strategies and roadmaps. Communicates strategies and approvals from business and technology stakeholders. Aligns business goals and system strategies with roadmaps.
- Oversees and consults with project teams. Creates design- and system-impact documents. Ensures system strategies are understood and are being adhered to. Monitors application designs and interfaces. Organizes and facilitates design discussions. Clarifies business requirements and communicates technical concerns and trade-offs to business leaders.
- Partners with the business to understand strategies and goals. Assists the business with developing system requirements and impacts that can be used to initiate projects and meet the business goals.
- Help build a culture of learning and innovation with a focus on learning new data technologies / practices and spearheading adoption within the organization
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in technology communities and act as an internal mentor to users of these platforms
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Business, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Technical or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 10+ years of experience in Technical or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Hands-on experience building prototypes and solutions using modern Data-analytic tools
- Experience architecting Real-time solutions to enable business capabilities
- Proven track record of mentoring team in adopting new technologies
- Proficiency with Cloud technologies and concepts, Real-time analytics, Streaming data platform and machine learning tools
- Experience migrating traditional architectures to next-gen data-analytic technology solutions
- Hands-on experience integrating open source components into data-analytic solutions
- Working with vendors to enhance tool capabilities to meet enterprise needs
- 2+ years’ experience working with AWS technologies or other cloud providers
- 2+ years’ experience in Financial services
- Analytics experience
- Building data-analytic solutions leveraging technologies including MPP Data Platforms, Spark, NIFI, Kafka, Python, R
- Experience/Knowledge of Machine Learning algorithms is a plus
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.