Senior Software Engineer
Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
Our Product Groups:
Individual Investor – building products like Morningstar.com and mobile apps for individuals like yourself
Institutional Investor – developing some of our flagship products like Morningstar Direct for institutional investors and our Advisor products for financial advisors
Workplace – this is where we build and provide our hosted digital advice platform for Retirement plans, 401K’s, etc. (what some call robo-advisors)
Data – this is the heart of Morningstar where all data is sourced, collected, transformed, calculated and distributed across the world
As a Data Engineer with a strong background in Microsoft database and AWS technologies, you will work as part of the Workplace Data team to design and develop data migration strategies from on-prem to the cloud. This position also provides opportunities to work on a wide variety of projects to solve valuable analytics and business problems. The ideal candidate is a diligent, hardworking individual with a strong Microsoft SQL background, a good working knowledge of AWS, who is able to learn new systems and processes rapidly.
- Design and document logical and physical database models to cater to a variety of business requirements.
- Develop advanced T-SQL code for implementing application business logic using stored procedures, views, and functions.
- Collaborate with other Database Administrators, Engineers, and Architects, as well as Applications/ Business teams to support enterprise applications.
- Develop data warehouse objects and processes for supporting business intelligence, including ETL, fact/dimension tables.
- Design and implement reports and dashboards existing tools and 3rd-party solutions.
- Assist in the migration of existing databases to AWS.
- Bachelor's Degree in MIS or Computer Science related field.
- 5+ of experience in design, development, and maintenance of Microsoft SQL Server databases.
- 5+ years of experience with SQL Server 2008 R2 & Later TSQL, Database Design, & Schema Principles.
- Experience using MS SQL Server Management Studio.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and communication skills, both oral and written.
To Stand Out:
- Experience using AWS.
- Experience with database performance analysis & indexing principles.
- Familiarity with source control concepts and tools.
- Experience with data visualization platforms.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.