Software Engineer II - Data Team
What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government agencies use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
What we are looking for
Do you enjoy developing software to solve challenging data problems? Are you interested in both software and data infrastructure? Civis is looking for a backend engineer to join our Chicago-based Data Engineering team!
As a Software Engineer - Data, you will be responsible for building out and maintaining the Civis Platform and API for all things data. You will focus on developing generalizable software to solve problems related to data ingestion, storage, visibility, etc. with an emphasis on user experience and performance.
- Designing and building high-quality software
- Develop APIs that deal specifically with data
- Review and debug code
- Working with abstraction layers, allowing our product to interact with different databases and cloud storage
- Research, prototype and recommend software solutions
- Collaborate with other teams within the organization, especially Product and Design
- 3+ years experience as a software developer/engineer
- Experience with Python, Ruby or another scripting language
- Comfortable with SQL and SQL databases
- Experience developing web applications with frameworks such as Rails or Django
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
Experience with one or more of the following:
- Ruby on Rails
- Designing and building APIs
- Scaling and ensuring the reliability of large SaaS applications
- Query optimization, distributed columnar databases, and/or data lake architectures
- Automated software testing and continuous integration
- Proficiency working with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or another cloud provider
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW