Sr Data Engineer, Zoro Tools
In the past six years, Zoro has grown from a group of 6 people working out of a 2,000 square foot building, offering fewer than 100,000 products to a group of 280+ working out of a 60,000+ square foot building, offering more than 2,000,000 unique products.
Imagine what you could help us achieve as a Senior Data Engineer!
Zoro is seeking a Senior Data Engineer. The Senior Data Engineer is a primary technical resource responsible for the design, development and operations of our new analytics platform. This individual will collaborate with various other IT groups, business partners and external service providers to build, maintain and support the analytics platform. S/he will also provide direction to, and oversee various service providers and junior engineers’ activities.
This position will sit in our downtown Chicago office (225 W. Ohio St.).
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Collaborate with key business partner groups (e.g. Customer Service) to develop & implement an integrated view of real-time data across multiple operational (e.g. Zoro NetSuite ERP, Zoro Product Master, Grainger SAP ERP) and analytic systems (e.g. Zoro data warehouse)
- Primary responsibility for developing real-time elements of the new analytics platform:
- All data migration/ ingestion/ETL design & development
- Metadata/semantic layer design and development
- Operations, to include all load/update activities as well as defining, implementing and monitoring real-time alerts and operational trend analysis & reporting
- Capacity analysis & management
- Quality Program definition, implementation & operations; to include automated data quality checkpoints and investigation of identified or reported data quality issues
- Technical documentation
- MDM Lead
- Identify key domains that’d benefit from an MDM approach (e.g. Product, Customer), along with best data sources & necessary attributes, and work with modeler to integrate into new data warehouse
- Define governance strategy with associated roles & responsibilities (e.g. Data Steward, Quality Specialist)
- Define & implement Policies & SOPs
- Monitor operations, develop and report quality metrics to key stakeholders
- Key contributor to defining and implementing:
- Data Services
- Data Dictionary
- Tool Standards
- Best Practices
- Data Lineage
- User Training
Skills & Responsibilities:
- Expert-level ETL designer/developer
- Proficient with real-time data replication/streaming tools & techniques
- Strong SQL
- Structured & unstructured data expertise
- Cloud environment development & operations experience (e.g. AWS Redshift and/or GCP)
- Experience developing in and using modern BI front-end tools
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Strong team player
- Advanced Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving skills
- Solid experience in architecture, advanced reporting and dashboards
- Strong SQL skills and experience with performance tuning are required
- “Get it done” attitude
- Superior Communication and Business-Technical Interaction skills
- Expert knowledge of data modeling concepts and data relationships
To qualify, you must possess the following skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, or a related discipline
- Hands on experience implementing & operating real-time data replication/streaming
- 15+ years hands-on ETL design/development experience
- Key resource on team(s) that have delivered successful enterprise-level analytics platforms
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.