Sr. Data Science Manager, Pricing R&D at Root
We believe a large part of building an effective insurance company can be solved with a principled quantitative framework. We are committed to the rigorous development and effective deployment of modern statistical machine learning methods to problems in the insurance industry.
The Pricing R&D team is looking for a Data Science Manager to lead and grow a team of data scientists responsible for continuously improving the predictive power of our pricing models. In this role, you'll oversee the research process from ideation to deployment, partnering with Product and Actuarial to build, evaluate, and implement segmentation enhancements. You'll be one part manager and one part individual contributor, providing technical leadership while working alongside your team to develop innovative pricing solutions.
The ideal candidate will have experience in Private Passenger Auto, with expertise in the research process, evaluation protocols, and post-deployment analytics.What you'll be doing.
- Lead and grow a team of data scientists
- Scope, prioritize, and lead the execution of data science projects
- Provide technical and thought leadership to the Pricing R&D team
- Effectively communicate insights from complex analyses
- Improve risk segmentation through iterating on model development, feature engineering, and pre- and post-deployment
- 2+ years of experience in data science including predictive modeling, exploratory data analysis, and productionizing solutions
- Experience building and evaluating pricing models and risk segmentation plans
- Exceptional individual contributor and storyteller
- Strong foundational understanding of statistical modeling and machine learning
- Strong programming skills with experience using modern packages in R and Python
- 3+ years of applying advanced quantitative methods to pricing P&C insurance products
- 1+ years of management experience
- Experience in R or Python package development
- Experience with large-scale analytics on AWS platforms
- In addition to pricing, experience in reserving, finance, marketing, and/or telematics in P&C insurance