Sr. Data Scientist (Marketing) at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Got a taste for something new?
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.
With more than 95,000 restaurants and over 16.4 million diners across 1,700 U.S. cities and London, we’re delivering like never before. Incredible tech is our bread and butter, but amazing people are our secret ingredient. Rigorously analytical and customer-obsessed, our employees develop the fresh ideas and brilliant programs that keep our brands going and growing.
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk. We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
The Marketing Data Science Team is looking for a team player to help build out the next generation customer acquisition and retention systems (i.e., keyword bidding and email marketing). We function very much like a startup, working quickly from raw data all the way up to designing and deploying AB tests. We directly communicate with our customers and have significant impact on overall company performance. The data scientist in this role will spend time learning the systems and the business and is expected to eventually work on his / her own marketing campaigns!
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- You will be a part of the data science team that collaborates with other stakeholders to develop models of customer behavior.
- You will work with business, creative, and engineering teams to build components of emails and paid search campaigns.
- You will design AB and implement AB tests to learn about our diners and drive revenue.
- You will be working on the entire “stack” from raw data to experimental analysis.
- You will monitor the systems for failures and address any that come up.
- You will analyze experimental results and apply what you learn to future experiments.
- You will forward report findings to all relevant stakeholders, including non-technical stakeholders.
- You will build out the necessary technical infrastructure to support your vision - recommendation systems, targeting algorithms, measurement infrastructure, etc.
- You will pursue relationships within and outside the company as necessary to maximize the quality of your product.
- You will be setting long term goals with clear deliverables and making action plans to realize them.
- You will be in charge of prioritizing and re-prioritizing your efforts based on team needs.
- You will be on the lookout for improving team processes and products.
- You will constantly train yourself and participate in team learning activities.
You Should Have
- 5+ years of applicable work experience in data science
- Bachelor’s in computer science, applied math, electrical engineering, or a related field (Master’s Degree or PhD in Quantitative Field is highly preferred)
- Hands-on software engineering skills: testing, code reviews, automation, scaling production systems. Our team pushes very hard to scale through automation. Advanced Python and Spark Skills are essential to perform your daily tasks.
- Hands-on experience developing, debugging, improving models in Python and Spark & the ability to execute in an Agile environment
- Strong data engineering skills - schema design and ability to build and monitor ETL processes
- Hands-on experience with the following platforms/tools - Spark, Redshift / Postgres, AWS, Linux, Hive / Presto, Git
- Machine learning - experience with metric design, categorical and numeric prediction models
- Strong cross-functional communication skills - The algorithms we develop are central to how the business runs. So it's critical for you to understand the drivers of our business very deeply, and to be able to explain your approach to a wide variety of both technical and non-technical stakeholders and take input from them where appropriate.
- Humility - Admit when you’re wrong and make a mistake, then let’s laugh about it.
Got These? Even Better:
- Paid search - a knowledge of SEM (Adwords, BingAds), APIs, and how to apply Machine Learning to it
- Marketing attribution model development
- Lifetime value modeling
- Data visualization - ability to present results clearly to technical and non-technical stakeholders
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent.
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly GrubHub/Seamless credit.
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more.
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections.
- Finally, work with an awesome team that loves its work and also loves to have a great time!
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.