Sr. Enterprise Data Governance Associate
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
As a member of the Enterprise Data Governance team this individual is an active participant in the development, implementation and evolution of a long-term enterprise data management and governance program. They are responsible for the development, coding, and implementation of data catalog, data quality, data stewardship, metadata management, and sensitive data management applications.
As a data governance practitioner you will work closely with team members in executing data catalog, data quality, data stewardship, metadata management, and sensitive data management activities. This will require you to learn our policies, processes and tools that we have implemented around our data governance program. Once fluent in our processes you will work with Business Technology and Business Unit teams to help implement a data governance strategy and build, test, and implement a number of data governance activities to support that strategy. You will be involved in regulatory activities like resolution planning, CFPB and FR Y14 reporting, CCAR stress testing, and data cataloging and classification providing leadership and applying data governance concepts, principles, and frameworks.
* Work closely with application development teams, data stewards and subject matter experts and other business and IT staff to execute data governance initiatives.
* Utilize data profiling and data quality tools with various data sources to uncover and determine root causes of data quality issues and then work with the data stewards to repair the existing data errors and implement remediation steps to prevent data errors from occurring in the future.
* Participate in metadata management utilizing our metadata/data catalog tool building out our business glossary, data stewardship, data lineage, and metadata framework capabilities.
* Help us to expand our data stewardship program and work with data stewards in business value added data initiatives.
* Participate in data governance policy and standard writing and review along with developing short presentations for department and senior level executive viewing.
* Utilize various IT frameworks (ITSM, ITIL, etc), guidelines and best practices to evaluate and make practical recommendations on IT data warehouse policies, procedures, standards and controls.
* Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
* Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information systems administration, business administration or an alternative technology related field or equivalent experience.
* Minimum of 2 years, 4 years preferred, of Enterprise Data Governance, IT, project management, internal audit, or consulting experience
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills with peers and upper level management.
* Proficient in Word, Excel, Project, Visio and PowerPoint.
* Strong interpersonal skills including effective negotiation, conflict management, and ability to develop strong working relationships.
* Some exposure to data governance concepts and tools.
* Ability to make verbal presentations on Data Governance topics.
* Self-starter with the initiative to act upon opportunities with little direction and moderate oversight.
* Working knowledge of Cloud, Oracle, DB2 and Teradata databases.
* Experience with Data Quality (DQ) tools like IBM Quality Stage, Trillium, or SAS Data Flux.
* Experience with Data Catalog, metadata management and business glossary tools like Alation, Collibra, ASG Brocade, DAG Metacenter or IBM Business Glossary.
* Previous or current Lean Six Sigma a plus.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.