Sr. Machine Learning Engineer at Clearcover
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What is a Sr. Machine Learning Engineering at Clearcover?
Clearcover is looking for an experienced software engineer or data engineer with machine learning expertise. At Clearcover, a Sr. Machine Learning Engineer will focus on developing tools, processes, and frameworks that make it easier to develop, productionize, monitor, and update services that use machine learning.
Our Sr. Machine Learning Engineers own both technical and business problems. They are expected to own the process of defining the problem, implementing the solution, and measuring the business impact. A successful Sr. Machine Learning Engineer will have excellent technical skills, in addition to good judgement and communication skills necessary to collaborate across the company with other engineers and non-technical teams.
Upcoming projects that will have a major impact on the entire company, include customer segmentation, churn prediction, fraud prevention, claims risk, and automated marketing solutions. Together, we will deliver high value models and tools that will take our business decision making and customer acquisition techniques to the next level.
What will you do?
- Work across teams with stakeholders to understand, define, and plan for solutions to their business problems.
- Implement production-ready machine learning models.
- Understand policyholder characteristics and insurance product attributes as needed to improve model performance.
- Validate machine learning models via proper train/test techniques.
- Engineer workflows to deliver machine learning powered raw datasets to support data analysis.
- Build model feedback collection processes to enable model optimization and performance reporting.
- Use the scientific method to improve our models, relying on quantitative analysis and experimentation to ensure we’re moving in the right direction.
- Leverage the Python data stack for completing machine learning initiatives.
What do you need?
- Senior-level experience as a Machine Learning Engineer, Data Engineer, or data-centric Software Engineer.
- Excellent all-around skill in Python, with an emphasis on data extraction, machine learning, data analysis, reporting, and application development.
- Proficiency in SQL for reporting, analysis, and data extraction.
- Significant experience with the Python data science and machine learning data stack, including scikit-learn, pandas, Spark, Dask, NumPy and related libraries.
- Experience using cloud compute in AWS or a similar vendor (e.g. GCP, Azure)
- Ability to communicate and discuss complex topics with both technical and non-technical audiences.
Nice to haves?
- Interest in writing about technical solutions and contributing to open source projects.
- Experience with event streaming for use in Machine Learning workflows (Kafka, Kinesis).
- Experience writing API services with FastAPI or related framework.
- Experience with the AWS Serverless stack for use in Machine Learning workflows (Lambda, API Gateway, SNS, SQS, Kinesis, Step Functions, Fargate, Dynamodb).
- Experience automating cloud infrastructure provisioning via Terraform and/or CloudFormation.
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited vacation, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover the vast majority of your premiums to make the cost of you and your family's coverage affordable. Plus, we contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.