Sr. Manager, Cloud Data Engineering
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
We are seeking a technical manager that will lead our Cloud Data Enablement data engineering team within our Advanced Analytics technology organization. You will be responsible for leading a team of high performing data engineers and architects that are tasked with building reusable frameworks and products enabling data integration and data management on the cloud. These products and frameworks will be utilized across many different data engineering teams enabling them to support our organizations data needs.
Your team will work in technologies such as Spark (python/scala), Kinesis, Kafka, EMR, MPP Databases (Snowflake & Redshift), NoSQL DBs, and other various AWS services (Lambda, Glue, Step Functions..) You will be responsible for helping to drive the data enablement product strategy and implementation.
Some of your teams’ efforts include providing frameworks for Real-time data pipelines for analytical use, API Data Ingestion tooling, Graph Database data frameworks, and batch on-prem to cloud data movements (AWS and multi-cloud architectures).
The Advanced Analytics organization is delivering a next-gen analytic ecosystem through new tools, frameworks and data enablement products on the cloud. The Cloud Data Enablement team plays a critical role in creating these tools via in house development, evaluating open-source frameworks, and third party solutions. You will be responsible for developing and mentoring existing team members while also recruiting high performing cloud data engineers/architects. Additionally you will need to be able to demonstrate the technical aptitude to learn new technologies as you will be working in a rapidly evolving landscape delivering transformative products.
- Deliver on our Advanced analytics strategy, ranging from implementing open-source and third-party based cloud and automation tools to building integrated solutions that meet enterprise needs
- Build a culture of learning and innovation with the ability to learn new data technologies / practices and spearheading cloud adoption within the organization
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in technology communities and act as an internal mentor to users of these platforms
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting edge technologies and align solution to meet our customer needs
- Ability to set technology strategy and vision for the team
- Proven track record of developing junior and experienced engineers/ technicians
- Proficiency with Cloud technologies and concepts (AWS preferred)
- Experience leading transformation from traditional to next-gen data-analytic technology solutions
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- At least 7 years experience working in software, data or systems engineering role
- At least 3 years experience managing engineering teams
- BS in Computer Science / related field or equivalent experience (MS preferred)
- Hands on experience with AWS services such as Glue, EMR, Lambda, Step Functions, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, SNS, SQS, S3, VPC, EC2, RDS, IAM
- Snowflake MPP database experience a plus
- Graph database experience a plus
- Hands-on experience integrating open source components into data-analytic solutions
- Working with vendors to enhance tool capabilities to meet enterprise needs
- Knowledge of application development lifecycles, & continuous integration/deployment practices
- Proficient in at least one programming language (Python, Java, Scala, Java)
- Experience in version control systems such as Git.
- Experience in ETL / Data application development
- Experience working with Spark and real-time analytic frameworks
- Willingness to continuously learn & share learnings with others
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Very strong verbal & written communication skills
- Experience within the Financial industry
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!