Sr. Manager, Data Engineer
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
The Advanced Analytics Platforms (AAP) team at Discover is looking for a Sr Manager, Data Engineering. In this role you will lead one or more Agile teams dedicated to pushing the limits of continuous improvement and innovation. If you are equally adept at managing and mentoring engineers, architecting and implementing cutting edge technology solutions, leading through change, and managing large scale production operations, this role is for you.
- Lead a focused Agile team to build and deliver software that enables state of the art, next generation Big Data & Fast Data applications
- Utilize tools and programming languages like Ab Initio, Java, Scala, Python and Open Source RDBMS and NoSQL databases and Cloud-based data warehousing services such as Snowflake and Redshift
- Leverage DevOps techniques and practices like CI/CD, Test Automation, Build Automation and Test Driven Development to enable the rapid delivery of working code utilizing tools like Jenkins, Maven, Nexus, Chef, Ansible, Git, and Docker
- Raise the bar and lead a team that delivers results that matter most to our company
- Expertly balance delivery innovation with operational excellence in a data driven way
- Lead the industry’s best talent and simultaneously have the technical chops to ensure we are developing the appropriate data assets based on the highest value business use cases
- Be a force for technological and organizational change as we push to differentiate our company with data
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering
- Proven ability to champion an idea and bring a group to consensus
- Proven ability to translate functional needs into technical solutions
- Excellent problem-solving skills involving complex and ambiguous issues
- Experience work in an Agile Scrum delivery framework
- At least 5 years of experience managing tactical delivery teams
- At least 2 years of experience in open source programming languages for data analysis
- At least 4 years of ETL/ELT experience
- At least 3 years of data model development
- At least 3 years of Business Intelligence/reporting experience
- At least 1 year of experience working with cloud data capabilities, including cloud ETL
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 8+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering
- Master’s Degree or PhD
- 5+ years Java development experience
- 4+ years of experience in Python, Scala, or R for large scale data analysis
- 4+ years’ experience with Relational Database Systems and SQL
- 4+ years of UNIX/Linux experience
- 2+ years of Agile engineering experience
- 2+ years of experience with Cloud computing
- 1+ years of experience with supervised machine learning
- 1+ years of experience in developing large and complex event processing platforms
- 1+ years of experience in developing high volume transaction processing solutions that can be scaled for millions of daily transactions
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!